Green algae odor 6 months after the aquarium removal?

MrWestCoast

I had a 40gal in one of my bedrooms last year. It got taken over by green algae and gave off a strong odor. Whenever I would do water changes the odor would follow in the water into the bathroom sink. I took the aquarium down over 6 months ago, but I cannot get rid of the odor. The odor gets stronger when the bedroom warms up. I cleaned the wall the tank was against with Hydrogen peroxide and it made no difference. I have wood floors in that bedroom and never had a spill. I can only describe this odor as stale, almost onion like smell.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by MrWestCoast

The humidity from the tank was likely absorbed into the wall and floor. Try using natures miracle pet odor remover. Spray it on and let it dry in. It’s enzymes and may help. Though I’m not 100% certain it would it works fabulous for pet accidents and many other random spills that have eventually caused odor. 
After it dries liberally pour backing soda along the corner of the floor board and let that sit to help drawn the odor as well as a Damp rid cartridge to help dry it to kill the remnants of the bacteria causing the odor. 

I have on several occasions spilled an entire bucket of nasty mulm vacuumed water onto my carpet. This method was my only success in ridding the carpet of the noxious odor that lingered for what threatened to be forever. 

• Like 1

You could try benzarid. It is used in hospitals and kills a lot of stuff. It’s available by mail from Walmart or Amazon. From Amazon description:

• BenzaRid Disinfectant is an Industrial Virucide, Mold Eliminator, and mildew stat. BenzaRid is used by professionals to remediate Flood/Water Damage to walls, floors, and ceilings.
  • Safe to use in Homes, Nursing Homes, Offices, Daycares, and Schools while also being strong enough to eradicate bacteria and viruses in Hospitals, Ambulances, Clinics, Gyms, Pharmacies, Veterinary Offices, Waiting Areas, Airplanes, Buses, Trains, Boats, and even Cruise ships. And even still stable and blended to be safe for use on sensitive Medical Equipment.
Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 6:00 AM, Hobbit said:

Can you pinpoint the smell to a particular part of the bedroom? Since there’s no carpet, I’m wondering if anything else porous might have absorbed the smell (curtains, bedding, etc).

I could not. The odor fills the room.