Black beard algae. PLEASE HELP

I have an established tank, 180 with some plants in it. The only plants I’ve been able to get to survive in my aquariums are anubius, everything else has died. While living somewhere with a water softener I was able to get jungle Val to thrive but each time I put some in this tank with harder water it slowly gets smaller until it’s completely gone. The black beard algae has been taking over my anubius plants along with some moss in this aquarium. I don’t know what to do to fix this. Someone please help. I really want a beautiful planted tank. I’ve been dosing with the recommended amount of fertilizer as well.

I have uploaded pics of now and the last photo is from when we had a water softener. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

one more thing to add, the sand in the new tank is different. I believe it may be a crushed coral of some type and in my previous tank I used pool filter sand. I was going to try replacing my sand with play sand to see if that might help.

IMG_6602.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

On 6/16/2023 at 11:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

A group of 6-12 Mature Siamese Algae Eaters could help nibble that back. They’re lively, but not aggressive. Just don’t mistake Chinese Algae Eaters or Flying Foxes for them.

I’ve actually already got a Chinese algae eater in there and I also just got two bristle nose plecos to try to help. Would the Siamese algae eaters get along with them? 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:19 AM, ashaquabarn said:

I’ve actually already got a Chinese algae eater in there and I also just got two bristle nose plecos to try to help. Would the Siamese algae eaters get along with them? 

SAEs are fairly good with BBA. They’ll get along with BNPs. No idea on compatibility with CAEs.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:19 PM, ashaquabarn said:

CAE will get very big and will potentially go after everything in the tank. It's happened a lot, but not something I can state firsthand. We've also seen some members on the forum encounter issues with their CAE going after fish.

Ultimately, CAE won't do anything for algae and despite the name itself, it isn't really going to go after algae.

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/Articles/cyprinid/

On 6/18/2023 at 8:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

CAE will get very big and will potentially go after everything in the tank. It's happened a lot, but not something I can state firsthand. We've also seen some members on the forum encounter issues with their CAE going after fish.

Ultimately, CAE won't do anything for algae and despite the name itself, it isn't really going to go after algae.

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/Articles/cyprinid/

I’ve had my CAE in the aquarium for a few years now and it’s stayed around the 5-6 inch mark. It seems to keep to itself mostly but I did notice some aggression when I had a red garra in there. I’ve noticed it doesn’t do much as far as getting rid of algae though. Will Siamese algae eater take care of the BBA? 

On 6/16/2023 at 11:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

A group of 6-12 Mature Siamese Algae Eaters could help nibble that back. They’re lively, but not aggressive. Just don’t mistake Chinese Algae Eaters or Flying Foxes for them.

I may have to try this.  My 75 is prone to BBA on the substrate.  I've seen the Tinfoil Barbs eat it,  but I'm not sure if they would leave the SAEs alone.

@ashaquabarn Reverse respiration or hydrogen peroxide treatments are two other possibilities.