Question about purigen

Garciac14

Hi everyone i have a simple question 

so I’m planning on introducing purigen to my tank .

And I use Fritz complete water conditioner 

just wanna make sure but work well .Mix well.

I have read the purigen doesn’t regenerate well with certain water conditioners .I have also read in the past that prime and Fritz are almost the same ??

I just don’t want some bad juju in my tank 😂😂😂

thanks in advance!!

They work together. Tip if you get the purigen in the bag let it soak in dechlorinated tap water for 15 minutes or so to rehydrate so it doesn’t blow throw the media bag into the tank. 
It’s part of the directions but not a part I read until after the fact 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lol ok great .thanks for the tip .seachem makes it sound like you are only suppose to use their stuff so their other stuff can work 😂😂😂

thanks again 

On 5/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Tommy Vercetti said:

Rinse it, use it. Enjoy clear looking water. It really is that simple. Don't over think it.

I have a spare bag, that I swap in. I then regenerate the old one and save it for next time.

Simple and easy 👍 I like that 😂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, Garciac14 said:

I have read the purigen doesn’t regenerate well with certain water conditioners .I have also read in the past that prime and Fritz are almost the same ??

Just to be clear (make sure I understand what you're saying), neither prime nor fritz conditioner/dechor will regenerate purigen. 50% bleach is what does that, then the dechlor makes it tank safe again. Right? 

I like using Purigen in my HOBs - great stuff. Just rinse it very well before use - I usually put it in a bowl or something and let water run over it for a few minutes to get the dust/finer particles out. Then I put it in the very top of my HOB, so it's the last thing the water passes through. Whenever I service my HOB I also rinse the Purigen bag in tank water. 

I don't bother regenerating it - they last long enough (months in my case - I use until they are almost black) that I just buy new and save the hassle/worry. Also, I think that you're supposed to store them damp/wet after you regenerate. The directions on the SeaChem site also say to soak in a buffer, but I don't know if that's necessary or not - another reason I don't bother. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 7:47 AM, TOtrees said:

Just to be clear (make sure I understand what you're saying), neither prime nor fritz conditioner/dechor will regenerate purigen. 50% bleach is what does that, then the dechlor makes it tank safe again. Right? 

I mean when it comes time to clean it remove the chlorine dechlorinate the water some conditioners might affect it the purigen .

I’ve never used chemical filtration so I was a bit concern that’s all .

On 5/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, TOtrees said:

Yup