Paver sand?

DeepWater

All purpose or play sand is OK.  The big box stores also usually have bagged river pebbles or similar that makes a good natural looking substrate.  The issue with paver sand type products is they typically have a concrete-like curing that happens.  Now, there might be safe "paver sand" out there, but I wouldn't risk it.  I looked into it awhile back because I liked the more uniform colors.  But when I looked at it in the store, I knew something was up. 

I have the all purpose sand and river pebbles from Home Depot in tanks now.  It works well. 

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 6:29 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I wouldn't use the paver sand, I am not sure what is in it, but it is made to brush into the cracks between pavers and then wet down to lock them in place, so it may turn into a solid block when you add water

Yep, paver sand has a coagulant in it.  Not what you'd want in your tank. @DeepWater

I use pool filter sand from the hardware store.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I'll add my vote to pool filter sand.  I have either that or Black Diamond sandblasting sand in all of my tanks (depending on which color I wanted).  I get mine from swimming pool supply stores.  It costs a little more than what you'd get at the big box home improvement stores (though it's still very affordable), but the several brands I've used haven't needed rinsing.  I don't believe the same is true for the less expensive brands.

There was a time in my life where I'd do the extra work to save a couple of dollars, but that time is behind me.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 10:13 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

I use a mix of pool filter sand and horticulture sand to get the more granular texture youd see in nature! Can get both from most local garden stores

So I guess +500 to that! ☺️

I like that idea, because it also helps prevent the compaction that some types of sand get, which plant roots don't like.

• Like 1

For a planted tank, can you cap Fluval Stratum with sandblasting sand like Black Diamond or will it sink? I was thinking because of the larger granule size it would work and having a layer of sand would be good for Corys.  I've read a lot about not mixing Stratum with sand but maybe the comments applied to the finer reef sand.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87 is bdbs ok for cories, sharpness-wise?

Odd Duck uses it, quite a few people use it.  BDBS is a recycled media and as such you cannot guarantee what the contents are.  That alone tells me I won't ever use it again.  I use the seachem flourite black and it's perfect for "black sand".   The BDBS bag I got was the same one everyone else gets, the correct pore size, from the shop you get it from.... it was filled with chunks and chunks of metal.  Locally, machine manufacturing is one of the high demand industries and that's likely why for me it isn't an option.  The media itself is extremely light and just not something I would recommend based on trying to work with it.  My hands were irritated, the fish took a very short amount of time to have redness, scratches, and severe stress signs (and damage) from the substrate.

I don't like to use paver / play sand because it's too fine for filters and siphons.  It can easily end up down the drain, bucket, or in the pump.  I am leaning towards the "sand" mentioned above as it's a natural product and works well or using the carib sea crystal river sand because it can be siphoned so easily.

Flourite black:
61JwL07dI6L._AC_.jpg.13e0e4e53bd755add6317b52b66d4d55.jpg

Flourite black sand:
flourite-black-sand-bulk.jpg.eeb29e3aa7f44aad1cfd4dc53e961e7e.jpg

20230504_103046.JPG.e58de4528aa45c522574c1a80702ff2f.JPG20230404_171841.jpg.6a660789c2e729954f2dc4e37feecad2.jpg

On 5/18/2023 at 11:07 AM, Monkeypoint said:

For a planted tank, can you cap Fluval Stratum with sandblasting sand like Black Diamond or will it sink?

In the tank above.  Contrasoil ( extra fine) capped with the flourite black.  As mentioned, the BDBS is very light.  It would mix easily.

• Thanks 1