Tank Water Level

Izzyf

I was wondering how full I should fill my tank after a water change. I’ve read generally should be an inch from the trim however on my tank I was unsure where this started from. Should I fill the tank slightly more or is there enough/too much in it currently? 

IMG_9784.jpeg

All the tanks in my fish room have the black trim, your basic Aqueon tanks, and I fill like others have said to just above the trim so that you can't see the waterline. I have a rimless tank in my bedroom, and it has a sump with a built in weir and overflow, and the waterline for that runs about 3/4" from the top edge. 

On 5/11/2023 at 3:48 AM, Pepere said:

On a rimmed tank I like to fill the tank so the waterline is just above the bottom of the trim so I dont see the waterline.

this, and if you run a HOB, high enough so it doesnt sound like a water fall.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:34 AM, Izzyf said:

I was wondering how full I should fill my tank after a water change. I’ve read generally should be an inch from the trim however on my tank I was unsure where this started from. Should I fill the tank slightly more or is there enough/too much in it currently? 

I wonder what's the reason for that?  I've always thought that there was no such thing as too full, as long as they aren't overflowing.

• Like 1

I have rimmed tanks as well, I fill to just above the bottom of the rim whenever I do a water change. I use it as a gauge to see how much water evaporates weekly and use that as a sign to top off between water changes. I live in FL so between A/C and ceiling fans, I get quite a bit of evaporation even with lids

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2