Lemme see your Pleco Tank set ups(Please and Ty!)

Shadow

On 5/11/2023 at 12:57 PM, Shadow said:

Hmmm...wonder how I could save them? I don't have anything really prepped, a side tank or anything. I do have a Ziss box, but it won't fit in this 20 long. 

Plecos won't bother it. they are hidden.  Just keep an eye out for fry!

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 3:04 PM, Lennie said:

If this is java fern don't plant it to the substrate otherwise it will die. Attach it to rocks or wood like anubias and bucephalandra 

OH thank you! I did not know that. I will rework it when I do the water change in the morning and pull them, attach to some rocks. 

On 5/11/2023 at 3:07 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Plecos won't bother it. they are hidden.  Just keep an eye out for fry!

I have a healthy clean bottom 5 gal with a sponge filter in it. Brand new water in it I was cooling for the shrimp. Kept the water from being scalding hot from tap since its already hot as hell down here in the South. Should I pipet and pull to there or just watch?

There is a clutch of 7 on one side, 2 on the other. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:20 PM, Shadow said:

Also, kinda nervous as I have to do water changes and the water will drop below the level of where the eggs currently are. 

Your tank is big and plecos are kinda small rn.

Maybe u can skip this weeks water change if nitrates aren't too high

On 5/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, Lennie said:

Your tank is big and plecos are kinda small rn.

Maybe u can skip this weeks water change if nitrates aren't too high

Its a pretty new tank that hasn't cycled yet. 

On 5/11/2023 at 1:12 PM, Shadow said:

Should I pipet and pull to there or just watch?

If you're really hard pressed for more corydoras, by all means pull eggs.  I tend to leave them if you're just doing it colony style.  They seem very well hidden and should be fine.  Mine only take ~3 days to hatch.  I would expect yours to be hatched pretty quickly.  as long as flow (or fish) doesn't play with them, you're usually fine and will get a good hatch.  The fry being in that tank is the best place for them because of all the food available.

On 5/11/2023 at 1:34 PM, Shadow said:

👍 or 👎 ?

20230511_153253.jpg

They would be perfectly fine in there.  The main thing is to feed powder and keep it clean.  Toss some moss in there if you can, if you move them.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you're really hard pressed for more corydoras, by all means pull eggs.  I tend to leave them if you're just doing it colony style.  They seem very well hidden and should be fine.  Mine only take ~3 days to hatch.  I would expect yours to be hatched pretty quickly.  as long as flow (or fish) doesn't play with them, you're usually fine and will get a good hatch.  The fry being in that tank is the best place for them because of all the food available.

They would be perfectly fine in there.  The main thing is to feed powder and keep it clean.  Toss some moss in there if you can, if you move them.

Think I will just leave them and make my water changes 20% instead of 30ish% for the next few days. Hate not doing them like I do until it gets cycled, but def don't want to put the others under stress for the hopes of some eggs. So will give it a few and if they dont hatch, will pull em then go back to my normal changes. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They look better than mine did.  Just emptied the tumber 😞

They are pretty cloudy and I'm not sure if they are viable but time will well.

Guess I will give them another day and if they haven't done anything by tomorrow or Monday, I will just remove them. 

• Like 1

Update: all the eggs went completely cloudy, so I removed this morning as the nitrates were getting higher than usual in this part of the cycling process(likely bcuz I was doing less of a water change to not disturb for a couple days). Also, I HATE Hornwort...it all has pretty much died and turned the tank into a debris pile(think the plecos love it, but its not very pleasing on the eye). I think I might go with more Java Ferns(unplanted of course! @Lennie😅) and get a bunch of floaters for the top like red rooted ones then some other plants to go in one corner. As Lennie predicted, the Java Ferns in there are looking poorly...they weren't fantastic when I got them in, so will add more in and then use some for coverage. Most of the Hornwort worked its way to one side, so I am leaving it there to see if it will come back or not. The rest as I clean/water change the next few days, I plan to remove. It dying is my fault really as I thought I was supposed to RR for 24 hours and it was really a few hours instead. But, yea, needles all over is working my OCD. 🤣 

In other news, the L134s are becoming less and less reclusive. They really are starting to come out into the open grazing areas and hang in small groups of 2-3. I also was able to catch all 5 together in the moonlight mode I keep it on in late afternoons, evenings. So I know all are well. They even like to hang on the glass once its dark so I can see their little bellies. 🙂 The Corys have not spawned again, but as soon as my white worms arrive I think they will spawn more. 🤞 

• Haha 1

Okay y'all! Redid the tank! I pulled the half dying Java Ferns, salvaged what I could from them(which believe it or not was a lot...there were loads of new sprouts on leaves) and added weights from Co Op to the bases.(thx @Lennie for the education & @nabokovfan87 for the weight suggestion!) I also got in Amazon Sword & more Java Ferns from Co Op which were all SUPER healthy and vibrant. Left them in my plant tank for a few days to get a boost from CO2. I then pulled the nearly dead hornwort(added it to the place were the held potted plants were so that maybe CO2 can help it rebound, started the cleanup of Kitty City & did a 50% water change since its not all the way cycled as of yet. 

20230522_100502.jpg.f81efa5abfa57cfa3a6f38e8603a83c6.jpg

20230522_100525.jpg.d9cdf40a755e89de0d476da834844ea2.jpg

20230522_100513.jpg.6b97f653332781675e32291fb38e7c27.jpg

After cleanup...I planted the new Amazon Swords(correctly as I researched planting techniques now instead of going Commando! 😂) and then combined new with some of the old Java Ferns, added weights then placed them selectively around the tank. Added two Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost onto rocks in the front a few weeks ago and one Anubias Nana White onto a rock placed the two Buce on bottom out of bright light but the Anubias Nana White looks like it might like light...it wasn't doing well so with the change I moved it onto top of the pleco hotel. Someone could correct me if I am doing this wrong, but just going by feel aka Commando on this one. 🤣 Added a rack of Bamboo on top that I had on the planted tank per a kind suggestion as well. 😉 

20230522_100505.jpg.a1ab6742bace88244aa52502321f3e18.jpg

Lastly, here is the final product now it's done. Hopefully with the correct light settings I can low tech these plants proper(no CO2 in this tank....YET). 

20230522_124413.jpg.06978b26e861c88d85bddd3e9129d08c.jpg

20230522_123012.jpg.8e9c3ca6dda4887f92895f12b7165d86.jpg

So....what y'all think of the changes? 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 5/22/2023 at 8:55 PM, Shadow said:

Okay y'all! Redid the tank! I pulled the half dying Java Ferns, salvaged what I could from them(which believe it or not was a lot...there were loads of new sprouts on leaves) and added weights from Co Op to the bases.(thx @Lennie for the education & @nabokovfan87 for the weight suggestion!) I also got in Amazon Sword & more Java Ferns from Co Op which were all SUPER healthy and vibrant. Left them in my plant tank for a few days to get a boost from CO2. I then pulled the nearly dead hornwort(added it to the place were the held potted plants were so that maybe CO2 can help it rebound, started the cleanup of Kitty City & did a 50% water change since its not all the way cycled as of yet. 

20230522_100502.jpg.f81efa5abfa57cfa3a6f38e8603a83c6.jpg

20230522_100513.jpg.6b97f653332781675e32291fb38e7c27.jpg

After cleanup...I planted the new Amazon Swords(correctly as I researched planting techniques now instead of going Commando! 😂) and then combined new with some of the old Java Ferns, added weights then placed them selectively around the tank. Added two Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost onto rocks in the front a few weeks ago and one Anubias Nana White onto a rock placed the two Buce on bottom out of bright light but the Anubias Nana White looks like it might like light...it wasn't doing well so with the change I moved it onto top of the pleco hotel. Someone could correct me if I am doing this wrong, but just going by feel aka Commando on this one. 🤣 Added a rack of Bamboo on top that I had on the planted tank per a kind suggestion as well. 😉 

20230522_100505.jpg.a1ab6742bace88244aa52502321f3e18.jpg

Lastly, here is the final product now it's done. Hopefully with the correct light settings I can low tech these plants proper(no CO2 in this tank....YET). 

20230522_124413.jpg.06978b26e861c88d85bddd3e9129d08c.jpg

So....what y'all think of the changes? 🙂 

I looove the changes.

Some people struggle with plecos damaging amazon sword leaves. Hope yours leave yours too. My L199 never touched my echinodorus leopard and amazon sword.

So excited to see them all settle and even see future babies ♥_♥

• Thanks 2

On 5/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shadow said:

All I can see is that corydoras.  Is there something else going on here!?

On 5/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shadow said:

Deffo push that light as FWD as you can on the tank.  It lights the fish better, but will stop the crazy algae on the javas and focus light on the swords. win-win-win

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

All I can see is that corydoras.  Is there something else going on here!?

Deffo push that light as FWD as you can on the tank.  It lights the fish better, but will stop the crazy algae on the javas and focus light on the swords. win-win-win

First off, it was showing the really bad black spotting on the original Java Ferns. I pulled a lot of that away and kept the healthier looking growths. 

Also, I have Amazon Swords(4 in very back and 2 in the front) with the new Java Ferns in the middle with all the hardscape. I was keeping the light towards the back of the tank. I just added two of the Swords to the front for more visual appeal. 

On 5/22/2023 at 12:59 PM, Lennie said:

I looove the changes.

Some people struggle with plecos damaging amazon sword leaves. Hope yours leave yours too. My L199 never touched my echinodorus leopard and amazon sword.

So excited to see them all settle and even see future babies ♥_♥

Thanks! I am hoping to see more out of the tank and one day add some more babies. Oh n @Guppysnail check the changes. 🙂 I know you have nice homes for your BNP. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

It looks great. A bit of candlelight and soft music a few grindal and white worms as an aphrodisiac and babies will burst the tank at the seems in no time.

I need to say I have never used CO2 so grain of salt here. Pleco and catfish in general enjoy highly oxygenated water. 

None of the plants you have need CO2. They grow great without it. Actually most common plants do fine without CO2 unless they are delicate fussy plants and those I dont recommend in a catfish bull in a china shop tank. 

Take that for what it’s worth. Maybe save a bit of money in the process. 🤷‍♀️

Let me know if you want to try your hand at grindal or white worms 🤗

• Love 1

On 5/22/2023 at 3:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

It looks great. A bit of candlelight and soft music a few grindal and white worms as an aphrodisiac and babies will burst the tank at the seems in no time.

I need to say I have never used CO2 so grain of salt here. Pleco and catfish in general enjoy highly oxygenated water. 

None of the plants you have need CO2. They grow great without it. Actually most common plants do fine without CO2 unless they are delicate fussy plants and those I dont recommend in a catfish bull in a china shop tank. 

Take that for what it’s worth. Maybe save a bit of money in the process. 🤷‍♀️

Let me know if you want to try your hand at grindal or white worms 🤗

So I bought two starter collections of white worms and put them in two tupperwares with soil(Miracle Gro Potting Soil) then added a half of a piece of whole wheat high quality bread, smeared some greek yogurt and yeast flake on top...then added the screen material between the soil and the bread, poured the collection on top of each container. A week later, bread was moldy and everything was dead or no longer there inside. Not sure what I did wrong, kept in closet of the fish room which is dark and should be cool enough. Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong. 

• Like 1

Did you drill enough air holes?  The bread does get moldy. I conquered that by making the bread super soggy and entirely covering it with nutritional yeast. I check my worms almost daily so fresh air gets in and to check the bread. 
They are probably still in there unless there were no air holes. Feed them again and they like very moist soil. You should be able to lightly squeeze a handful and it form a solid ball and if you squeeze harder a few drops of water come out. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/23/2023 at 5:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

Did you drill enough air holes?  The bread does get moldy. I conquered that by making the bread super soggy and entirely covering it with nutritional yeast. I check my worms almost daily so fresh air gets in and to check the bread. 
They are probably still in there unless there were no air holes. Feed them again and they like very moist soil. You should be able to lightly squeeze a handful and it form a solid ball and if you squeeze harder a few drops of water come out. 

Yea I think I did them all in by not having enough breathable air for them. Do you poke holes or cut/add cloth or something to prevent escaping and buggies from entering? 

On 5/23/2023 at 8:05 PM, Guppysnail said:

I drill good size holes. Maybe 1/8  of inch large. Then I duct tape linen over the holes  I also open them everyday/ every other day to get lots of fresh air in  

AE4ACE75-FB9D-425E-B9B9-5A2B0CABB1E4.jpeg

C1D803DA-59EE-492A-92A6-FEBE585B8228.jpeg

977800F3-1729-4084-ABE5-03EF3B9AE9F6.jpeg

04397AA7-CE56-45AA-8E0E-6E3B3CB449C7.jpeg

ty so much for that! will amend and try again...first you don't succeed, try again. 🙂 

Also, I saw a video @Cory did a while back on removing eggs off glass and floating them in a tupperware until they get a decent size. I cannot find it, have it set up as I remembered... @Guppysnail @nabokovfan87 @Chick-In-Of-TheSea do you all remember which video it was? Cannot remember if I needed to add an air stone in it, if so I'd need to add more water to the tupperware which would hinder the easy float. I just have it clipped so it doesnt float around all over. Its about halfway filled with water and is in the Kitty City tank floating as I know fry will never survive hardly in the OG Guppy Tank. I was able to salvage 3 eggs FYI, the others were being consumed by the million ramshorn I have currently LOL. 

20230524_103615.jpg

20230524_103548.jpg