Baby Cory

Gamegurl

Heya gang,

This is a totally unplanned breeding. I have had some trouble deciding what to keep in my 29 gallon tank so it has gotten to be a deluxe apartment for 5 Panda Cory's and 3 Nerite snails at the moment.

When cleaning about a month ago I spotted a tiny fry, I wished it luck and promptly forgot about it.

The only thing it could be is a baby Cory, I later learned although they aren't great parents they don't eat their young.

About a week ago I was futzing in the tank again and whoa, he grew up. The baby is now nearly as long as the adults but very slim, he's all about the tank, so so cool. But that's not it, *again* I spotted a tiny fry, so we have two baby Cory's.  Happy tank.

Here's a clip of my little guy.

Edited by Gamegurl
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

On 4/17/2023 at 4:39 AM, Gamegurl said:

Heya gang,

This is a totally unplanned breeding. I have had some trouble deciding what to keep in my 29 gallon tank so it has gotten to be a deluxe apartment for 5 Panda Cory's and 3 Nerite snails at the moment.

When cleaning about a month ago I spotted a tiny fry, I wished it luck and promptly forgot about it.

The only thing it could be is a baby Cory, I later learned although they aren't great parents they don't eat their young.

About a week ago I was futzing in the tank again and whoa, he grew up. The baby is now nearly as long as the adults but very slim, he's all about the tank, so so cool. But that's not it, *again* I spotted a tiny fry, so we have two baby Cory's.  Happy tank.

Here's a clip of my little guy.

I think that is so cool to have something spawn that would other wise be impossible 
I had 2 babies hatch in my 75 gal last month & they have sure grown quick for me
I had to put off a few water changes cause I didn't want to take a chance sucking 
them up & not know it, so now I have them in a 30 gal that was done awhile back.

So when the time comes to do a water change on it they'll be easier to watch for.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:30 AM, Gamegurl said:

So sad.

I just found my little buddy dead.

I don't know what happened. He was listless today and I just found him dead.

*sigh*

One thing to keep in mind in that with reproduction comes death. It's something that with modern medicine we forget in today's society but there is a lot of death that comes with breeding. I have a tank where I put all my panda cory eggs along with shrimp to nanny them. I get dozens and dozens of fry and therefore wake up almost daily to 1-2 dead. It's part of breeding unfortunately is casualties. Not all of them are born healthy and sometimes there's nothing you can do to save them. In the mystery snail world its common to have a 50% mortality rate from a hatched clutch. It's not NEARLY that high for cories but deaths do happen.

I doubt you did anything wrong. I would fully expect you to see another little one popping up and making it all the way eventually!  If you want to encourage it, provide places for the eggs to hide. You are right, they do not eat their fry but they do eat eggs. Moss is a great tool or what I use is called spawning mops. 

I wrote a thread about how I have bred panda cories without pulling eggs, as well as one with pulling eggs. I'll find it for you. 

Here it is. Full disclaimer:  this is what I have found to work. There is always other methods and things you can try that may help you be successful as well!

On 4/21/2023 at 12:48 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

😞

I'm very sorry.  Unfortunately they can get crushed pretty easy.  Maybe the little duder didn't get enough food or something? (usually unlikely, especially once they have pattern)  Maybe there was just a bigger fish that spooked it. 

I think you might be right. The bigger Cory's didn't pick on my little guy but were very clumsy around him. They may have crushed my little guy. Broken heart will mend but he was sooooo cute.

Thanks Cinnebuns very good information.