1st outdoor tub.

TeeJay

Hey everyone. Thinking of trying a small summertime tub. Looking at a 70qt roughly 17gal tub. Was thing about some water lettuce salvinia and duckweed for floaters. Some guppy grass as well with a small sponge filter for aeration and filtration. This is the solar power air pump with solar panels I am looking at. 

5W Solar Air Pump Bubbler for Fish Pond, 1 or 3 Days Air Output, 10 ft + 10 ft Cable, 3 Modes, 22.2GPH, Hoses Bubble Stone, Solar Aerator Oxygenator for Backyard Hydroponic, Aquaculture https://a.co/d/0uiv6FL

I only plan on butting a trio of feeder goldfish for the season. Then I have a friend that will take them in the fall to put in his permanent year around pond for a forever home. I guess my question for the tub folks is do you think a small sponge filter with the solar air pump I linked will to the job well enough. I may do a better setup the next year if I find out that I enjoy doing it. Just want to try my hand at it without spending a lot. In my apt unit I do not have an exterior outlet so the solar power is really my only option. Any advice would be great.

• Like 4

It can work fine. I use no air at all. A small solar unit will be great. You must make sure that, at high noon, your tub is NOT under full sunlight. I marked off a chalk line on my porch to ensure I wouldn’t cook fish. Check your gardening zone. Set your tub out at least 1-month before the “safe date” to add fish. You want that tub loaded with bacteria — phototropic (?) from sunlight — and lots of mosquito larvae, etc.

I recommend Guppies. Shade is crucial. Here’s my journal…

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, Fish Folk said:

It can work fine. I use no air at all. A small solar unit will be great. You must make sure that, at high noon, your tub is NOT under full sunlight. I marked off a chalk line on my porch to ensure I wouldn’t cook fish. Check your gardening zone. Set your tub out at least 1-month before the “safe date” to add fish. You want that tub loaded with bacteria — phototropic (?) from sunlight — and lots of mosquito larvae, etc.

I recommend Guppies. Shade is crucial. Here’s my journal…

My only issues with the guppies is just breeding like crazy. With the 2-3 Goldie's I know I have a home for them after the season is over.  Yes here in Ohio we usually use labor day weekend as our safe zone for gardening. So about a month away from now. Gotta order my tub. Should be in at my local ace hardware in a couple days.

• Like 1

I have a standing agreement with my LFS: they’ll buy all healthy tub livebearers at season’s end from me at matching wholesale rates from fish farms. Typically I get $100 / 17-gal tub.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

Sound like a solid plan. You know how you want to setup. And have an exit strategy.

My 100 gal is more shade than not. Even so, the Louisiana dog days of summer warm the water between 80 or 90. A smaller tub changes faster so watch the exposure like @Fish Folk explained. Hard to argue his results!

• Thanks 2

Right I figure I have a month to let it set and watch the way the sun hits it at different times of the day to affect the water temp. Im in the ground level so there is another small porch above mine that will help a little. I think the bigger part of mine will be the last few hours of the setting sun will be hitting it pretty directly. Not to bad this time of year but in a couple months it will make a big difference..

Trying to figure out best way to shade a filter the sun for that portion of the day. I wish I still had a lfs around to be able to give them too 

• Like 1

Shade Cloth 6.5X3ft,Durable Mesh Tarp with Aluminet Grommets,90% Sun Shade Tarp,for Plant Cover, Greenhouse, Patio, Chicken Coop, Barn Kennel,Outdoor Parking,Black1*2m https://a.co/d/9zwNe1j

I think this will do the trick. I can drape it over my porch railing in the corner and just set my tub underneath. My porch is on 3-4ft by maybe 15 ft so the small one will work well.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:28 AM, TeeJay said:

Hey everyone. Thinking of trying a small summertime tub. Looking at a 70qt roughly 17gal tub. Was thing about some water lettuce salvinia and duckweed for floaters. Some guppy grass as well with a small sponge filter for aeration and filtration. This is the solar power air pump with solar panels I am looking at. 

Aquarium Adventures has a video trying out the solar side of a pond pump as well as pond guru.  Pecktec has a playlist for a small pond that might be a great series for you to check out! 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:33 AM, Fish Folk said:

I have a standing agreement with my LFS: they’ll buy all healthy tub livebearers at season’s end from me at matching wholesale rates from fish farms. Typically I get $100 / 17-gal tub.

I really need to find a LFS.... 😞

That's awesome.  What do you normally have in the tubs?

• Like 1