OTS ?

Jackson

My understanding is that it's when various components in the water have built up over time to what would be toxic levels for newly introduced fish or invertebrates, but the existing stock have adapted since the changes have been gradual.  I won't argue with someone who disagrees, or has another definition, because he or she is probably correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@JettsPapa is correct and has put it in such succinct terms, I don't see how his explanation can be improved. 100% impressive. 

On 4/4/2023 at 6:28 AM, Pepere said:

Old tank syndrome sounds so much better than neglected water change syndrome…

It is possible to have ots and have kept up with water changes.

PPM counts, of some dissolved solids, plotted on a graph will roughly double over time (compared to the source water). Even with weekly 50% water changes. 

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pepere said:

I have a neighbor with a 15 gallon with 20 glofish skirt tetras.  Never does water changes, simply tops off.  She has something in a bottle that “instantly eliminates all chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.” So water changes are completely unnecessary.  And she only runs the moonlight setting a few hours a day as otherwise the Algae is terrible…

Never tests for nitrates because the magic solution instantly eliminates them…

The only thing saving her from ridiculously high gh, kh is that our tap water only has 1 degree of each…

LOL. ... The magic solution .. Prime ?

On 4/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, Pepere said:

I sort of dislike the name “Old Tank Syndrome”. It sort of implies it is an inevitable function of time that everybody will succumb to eventually…

I'd like to know when a tank qualifies as "old". My 'oldest' tank at this point is approaching 2 years old. It's chock full of plants so I rarely disturb the substrate and the timing of water changes has varied over time from weekly to sometimes to rarely and is currently back to weekly, with very hard tap water. 

On 4/4/2023 at 8:28 AM, Pepere said:

Old tank syndrome sounds so much better than neglected water change syndrome…

Sad but true

On 4/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, Pepere said:

I have no idea which brand.  She has no interest in learning…. 

If she knew the truth she would have to do water changes, and she doesnt want to do that.   I avoid discussing fish with her…

Willful ignorance is frustrating. 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, Pepere said:

I sort of dislike the name “Old Tank Syndrome”. It sort of implies it is an inevitable function of time that everybody will succumb to eventually…

I agree. I never thought of it that way but fully agree. 

I'm at about 12 years w/ the 29g.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pepere said:

She has something in a bottle that “instantly eliminates all chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.”

I don't know of any liquid that would eliminate nitrates.  Cory says on his nitrogen cycle video that water changes or plants are the only things that remove it.  I have used nitra-zorb in the past which works wonders.  It's a pouch of filter media.  It has to be recharged every so often by soaking it in salt water.  That was back before I had any live plants, and I only used it a short period of time, a few weeks.

Do her fish look ok? Does she at least have plants?