Easy Plant LED Tank Size and Settings Information

Cory

On 6/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, Desktop Aquatics said:

I just got the 48 inch light for my 48x24x16 80 gallon and boy does it light up the entire thing! The spread is crazy! IMG_1321.jpeg.5993c69c390e58b587121a92d9d71f01.jpeg

I’ll post another pic after I fill this bad boy later today hopefully 

This might just be the light I go for soon.  I still need to finish the stand then set the tank.

I have a 10g with one betta and a nerite. At the moment I have anubias, Val, hydrocotyle tripartita, crypt lucens, crypt wendtii, Amazon sword, and Pogostemon stellatus narrow-leaf (which I’m not sure is the same or different than PSO?). Theres also a few floaters that I got in a pack from Etsy. I have the 20” Easy LED at 30% and on for 7hrs a day. I dose Easy Green once a week per the regular does and nitrate usually sits around 20-30ppm. None of the plants are really thriving per se, but the Pogo and Hydrocotyle are not doing so well compared to the rest. They’re new(ish) to me, along with the Val. I suspect they want more light but I have already been getting a little hair algae. I’m not sure which factor to change. Up the light/more fertilizer/shorter light period/etc. Any thoughts are much appreciated 🙂

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 2 6500k 150 watt led floodlights that I'm replacing my fluval aquasky 2.0 with. With my 150 gallon 6ft tank it will give me 30,000 lumens and allow me to be able to get more advanced plants with high light requirements. I also run a fert regimen and my tank is co2 injected with 3 bps currently. No pun intended but these lights were 40 bucks after tax and shipping off Amazon so I don't have much to loose on this experiment. I will most likely only do a 7 to 8 hour light cycle to minimize algea risk untill the plants take hold well. I run my co2 from an hour before sunrise to and hour before sunset. If this works I will have found a way to make a great plant lighting setup for pennies on the dollar. 

Edited by spokanejared

Quick question, I’m looking to get the easy plant LED light. I have a small 10 gallon tank which is 20inches across. Should I get the 16 inch size or the 20 inch size? Just want to make sure I get the right size. Thank you for your help and this awesome community! 

The Easy Plant LEDs have extension brackets so they will always fit the next size up, so a 16" light would be no problem on a 20" tank.

I think it comes down to what kind of plants you want to grow. If you're looking for a lot of red or white plants (poor photosynthesizers) or growing a carpet of dwarf baby tears, etc maybe the extra lumens of the larger light would be useful.

Otherwise I'd say the tank is small enough and short enough you should be just fine with a 16", and will probably want to turn the brightness down anyways. 

On 3/16/2024 at 5:33 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

The Easy Plant LEDs have extension brackets so they will always fit the next size up, so a 16" light would be no problem on a 20" tank.

I think it comes down to what kind of plants you want to grow. If you're looking for a lot of red or white plants (poor photosynthesizers) or growing a carpet of dwarf baby tears, etc maybe the extra lumens of the larger light would be useful.

Otherwise I'd say the tank is small enough and short enough you should be just fine with a 16", and will probably want to turn the brightness down anyways. 

I currently have Amazon swords, vallisnerias, and cryptocoryne greens in my tank so I think the 16 should be fine

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thought I'd post some information. First data and graphic for our light PAR values. We'll be making modifications to fit the website. All testing was done on a 65 gallon aquarium. So the 8 inches from center data won't be correct for small tanks like a 5 gallon.

par brightness chart_graphic_v1.png

I currently have a 24 inch on my Waterbox Mini 25. The light has no trouble reaching the bottom of the tank and I think the light color is just gorgeous. My Ludwigia super-red is especially thriving under it. The only issue I am having is that the tank is about 16 inches deep and I have a sort of triangle of shadow at the front that is especially noticeable when my green neons swim in the upper front quadrant of the tank. This has persisted regardless of how high the light is adjusted up. I've ordered a second 24 inch light that I think will solve the problem and allow me to lower the light in front for my Anubias and Subwassertang while turning it up a bit in the back for my stem plants. I see the coop site recommends 1 light for tanks of similar depth like a 40 breeder. I would suggest that most tanks over 12 inches front to back will probably benefit from 2 lights to avoid the areas of shadow. I think it's well worth it for the color and the build quality. 

• Like 1