Easy Plant LED Tank Size and Settings Information

Cory

• Administrators
On 3/31/2023 at 1:59 PM, Maximus said:

I'd be curious to know if the presence of tannins impacts the ability of the light to penetrate through the water. I try not to run the light any higher than it needs to be for the plants... the kuhli and cory seem to like subdued light, and the tank looks better in my opinion.

It does reduce light. yeah.

On 4/3/2023 at 2:46 AM, No1zhome said:

I'd be curious when the next batch of 36 LED lights are coming in! Ha! I need two of them.

Should be on like the 15th or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using my new Aquarium Coop LED for about a week now and things are looking good.  I've tried some red plants in the past but they seem to lose their leaves and get very leggy.  You can see one plant in one of the pictures.  I would like to start adding some new red plants but I'm not sure I have the right light settings.  The new light is set at 60%, I do CO2 injection and I dose with Easy Green and Easy tablets.

I have no algae except for a little green algae on the glass that I remove with a razor blade once a week.   The lights are on for 8 hours a day with a one hour siesta in the middle of the time.  My water parameters are all in the normal range except for my nitrates which have been running about 60ppm for the past couple of weeks.

Should I bump up my lighting if I want to start to get some new red plants?  I should I raise the intensity until I start to see some algae?  It is a 30 gallon tank that is 18" tall.

IMG_0508.jpg.ea3ad309c67c1243c5fdd820832a5667.jpgIMG_0511.jpg.bf530e0fe4b46ee6c6d6ddaa8ccc9cee.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Edited by Jeff_F

• 2 weeks later...

I use my light at 90 percent or 1 click from max in a 20 gallon long and my algae is growing a little but not much. I have a giant val which is a couple inches taller then me and it it growing like crazy. I also have high light plants such as Scarlet Temple, Monte Carlo, and other carpeting plants. My plants I have in the tank are a couple Anubias, Java Fern, Scarlet Temple, Monte Carlo, Micro Sword, Tiger Lotus, some Crypts, Water Sprite, Pearl Weed, Java moss, Dwarf Sag, Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus and a thriving Vallisneria. Also if we are counting floater plants then also duckweed. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:13 PM, Jeff_F said:

I've been using my new Aquarium Coop LED for about a week now and things are looking good.  I've tried some red plants in the past but they seem to lose their leaves and get very leggy.  You can see one plant in one of the pictures.  I would like to start adding some new red plants but I'm not sure I have the right light settings.  The new light is set at 60%, I do CO2 injection and I dose with Easy Green and Easy tablets.

I have no algae except for a little green algae on the glass that I remove with a razor blade once a week.   The lights are on for 8 hours a day with a one hour siesta in the middle of the time.  My water parameters are all in the normal range except for my nitrates which have been running about 60ppm for the past couple of weeks.

Should I bump up my lighting if I want to start to get some new red plants?  I should I raise the intensity until I start to see some algae?  It is a 30 gallon tank that is 18" tall.

IMG_0508.jpg.ea3ad309c67c1243c5fdd820832a5667.jpgIMG_0511.jpg.bf530e0fe4b46ee6c6d6ddaa8ccc9cee.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

I would suggest bringing it up to 80 percent and check if theres any other algae other than green algae growing and if there is no other algae then I would bring it up to a 90 percent as thats what I have for my 20 gal and not much algae is growing. It may grow a lot more algae but then it will not grow anymore. You already have ferts and CO2 so your set for red plants. If algae does grow more then I would suggest rising your fertilizer a small amount to balance all the nutrients or you can shorten your hours for the light to be on. If the red plants still get leggy then you can either just try to get easier semi red plants or you can probably get an iron based fertilizer like easy iron.

Also, nice plant placement and hardscape, looks wonderful, I like the moss peeking out from under the driftwood.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be getting a 20 gallon long tank soon. I think if I extend the brackets, three different size lights could fit - 20 inch, 24 inch and 30.

I prefer a low tech tank with low light plants. I wonder if the 30 inch light might be a little overkill for my needs. And I wouldn't mind saving some money. :classic_happy:

Has anyone any experience with using shorter lights?

My memory could be wrong @Sherry, however I believe I remember @Cory saying the best light for a LOT of people would be the 24" light. I believe it's because a lot of aquarium equipment in the US is commonly seen in 2ft increments when you upsize standard tanks. I have two 20 gallon talls, and in order to save on e-waste I won't be buying the ACO light until my lights take a crap but a 24" light would be best for my tanks. I hope that helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:56 PM, Sherry said:

What size light did you buy? A 30 inch is the full length of the tank.

I bought the 30 inch one for my high light plants.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:05 PM, Sherry said:

I will be getting a 20 gallon long tank soon. I think if I extend the brackets, three different size lights could fit - 20 inch, 24 inch and 30.

I prefer a low tech tank with low light plants. I wonder if the 30 inch light might be a little overkill for my needs. And I wouldn't mind saving some money. :classic_happy:

Has anyone any experience with using shorter lights?

I once used the Fluval Aquasky 24 inch for my 20 long and it worked well but it wasn't enough for my plants but thats prob just the light specs not the length. Low light plants should work well with a 24 long light but 20 is kinda pushing it. Even if you think the 24 inch is too bright or too dim ACO has excellent warranty and customer service for the light so you can switch to the 30 inch or the 20 inch. With the 24 inch your edges would be darker but thats not too much of a problem as you are growing low light plants.

Also with the 20 inch it might be dangerous since in my experience lights with brackets like the ACO one normally are strong when the brackets aren't stretched a lot and weak and wobbly when the brackets are stretched close or to the max length of the bracket.

Edited by Shrimpee
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 1:59 PM, Maximus said:

I'd be curious to know if the presence of tannins impacts the ability of the light to penetrate through the water. I try not to run the light any higher than it needs to be for the plants... the kuhli and cory seem to like subdued light, and the tank looks better in my opinion.

I will be doing a large blackwater scape with the 48inch light ill make sure to post my findings with that idea in mind!

• 3 weeks later...

This is how the lights look at 100% with a pretty tinted blackwater tank but honestly great coverage I love the way it looks! also have a 48inch on the shelf underneath so it kinda shows how bright it is above the 15's with how it looks on the 80 gallon both at 100%.

IMG_1559.jpeg.d7036a31553ad93ae00d1349acf0cfad.jpeg

Edited by Desktop Aquatics
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I ended up ordering two 20 inch lights for my 20 gallon tall tanks (one of my 3year old light bars is failing, possibly because I put a dimmer switch on it). I was originally going to get 24" lights but thought the 20" should be sufficient as my tanks get plenty of light from what I have now and I'm guessing the ACO lights will be even better. I don't have wifi though so I can't do what @Cory does with wifi timers. I'm also limited in plugs being in an old home and rely on manual timers when the lights don't have them equipped (have both, the current lights I'm replacing have their own built in). If you use manual timers you know how much space they take up so my dilemna was how do I fit 2 manual timers in an already loaded power strip?? 

So for those of us with this problem, here is my current solution: 

https://a.co/d/fDdAvhV

image000000(404).jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2023 at 11:59 AM, 2GreenThumbs said:

Any plans to make a 6 ft light? I technically have lighting but I’d love to try this light on my new 125!

On a 125, depending upon how many cross braces you have on the tank, I would go with either 3x 24" or 2x 36" lights, no matter what brand light you use. that way you can just set the lights on the top of the tank if you like, and I think it would help limit shadows from the cross braces.

• 2 weeks later...