75G Equipment Help - I'm sure it's a thing

nabokovfan87

A question for those who have bigger tanks with the "larger rim" on the top. This isn't something I had issues with until I got the 75G.

I figured I'd share what does and doesn't work and ask for some help!

I need a specimen container that fits a 75G rim? I know I've seen them before but for the life of me I can't seem to find one easily.

Equipment Check for 75G Aquarium

Lee's Large size specimen container: No
ACO Specimen container: No
Aquaclear 70: Nope
Tidal 75: Yes
Fluval/Marina hang on breeder box: Yes

Anything else relevant to this issue please feel free to post below with your experience using that equipment.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:19 AM, Maximus said:

What's the measurement for the width of the rim, what kind of clearance does it actually need?

The corners have pretty generous radii (the rim itself). The linear distance at the middle of the rim is just a hair under 1-1/4"

On 3/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, gjcarew said:

The aquarium co-op container fits on a standard 75 gallon rim for me

It fits on the upper lip, but not the full rim for me.

The way it fits, if I bump it, especially with water, it's going to fall.

You can notch out that thin little piece of plastic on the inside of the top trim in a place or two to make the hang-ons fit. It's not structural and is only there to give the lid a place to sit. A few strategic removals of that lip would let your stuff fit perfectly. A sharp knife is all it takes to score and remove the lip.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:37 AM, gardenman said:

You can notch out that thin little piece of plastic on the inside of the top trim in a place or two to make the hang-ons fit. It's not structural and is only there to give the lid a place to sit. A few strategic removals of that lip would let your stuff fit perfectly. A sharp knife is all it takes to score and remove the lip.

That's a SMALL lip to be cutting off if your not careful you could mess up the whole rim
if you can get the 1 that fits that's what I would do to be on the safe side, but that's me.

Exactly, I know what people do, but I also have seen a container with a different (wider) handle on it before. I just can't seem to find it! Worst case I think there are other options, for now it just sits on the lid instead of the rim (tank has two lids).

I don't plant to cut the rim.

If you’re only using the specimen containers as a very temporary fish transfer type thing, you can get small plastic water pitchers with an open, hook style handle that might be a better option.  I don’t know if any would be clear enough to be useful for getting a good look at fish, but would be useful while catching them out before a transfer.

I use Penguin Pro’s for HOB’s, partially because they fit but mostly because the pump is in the water so restarting is a non-issue and the pumps seem to last longer staying cooler.  The 450’s fit on the rims of my 75 G and both my 100’s. The glass doesn’t fit quite right on my nanofish 100 since it’s a bit wider than on the angelfish 100.  The glass fit fine when I was using the regular (not Pro) Penguin filters but the Pro is slightly deeper front to back.  🤦🏻‍♀️  The biowheels are trash but the basic filters are fine.  I’ll probably jinx myself saying this, but I haven’t had to replace an impeller yet on the Pro’s and I was replacing them every 6 months or so on the regulars.  In their defense, I’m bad about regular cleaning on the filters.