Plakat betta - Good in community tanks?

BeeGryphon

Hi all 😄 I've started a community tank and plan on getting a betta to add in in a couple of weeks. I've been leaning toward a short fin/plakat because it seems like mo' fin mo' problems. My question is, with shorter fins and increased ability to swim, are they more of a nuisance or more aggressive in community tanks, generally speaking? I know there's always the possibility I will get an aggressive betta regardless of the fin type, but I don't want to stack the odds against myself if a short fin is known to typically be more aggressive.

Tank includes/will include: ember tetras, pygmy corydoras, nerite snails.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, BeeGryphon said:

Tank includes/will include: ember tetras, pygmy corydoras, nerite snail

Those do fine even with a long-fin betta and they tend to be in the “Top 5” or “Top 10” vids on YouTube. Plakats are some of my favorite bettas! I used to have a black orchid crown tail who I loved…

1560F4B2-631B-4704-806B-BA8AE176906F.jpeg

• Love 1

On 3/22/2023 at 11:03 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Those do fine even with a long-fin betta and they tend to be in the “Top 5” or “Top 10” vids on YouTube. Plakats are some of my favorite bettas! I used to have a black orchid crown tail who I loved…

1560F4B2-631B-4704-806B-BA8AE176906F.jpeg

Woah, he's beautiful! There are so many amazingly colored bettas out there!

On 3/22/2023 at 11:09 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I love the wild types. You know; B. Mahachiaensis and B. Smaragdina. They’re both on my ‘someday’ list (it’s a long list!).

I think @Fish Folk has some Mahachaiensis? 

They both look absolutely magnificent! I wonder if they act much different or have different care requirements than the B. splendens?

I've also been developing a list since I first started doing research but unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it) I'm pretty limited by living in an apartment.

Wild types may be among the best options if you can find them and are probably genetically less prone to issues most splendens have. 

You are correct IMO shorter fins seem to equal less of a problem with fins but also correct in that they do swim faster. Some suggest going with a female you will have less chance for aggression I find that not to be totally true. After having rescued 4 splendens of different types, 1 female and 1 male are ok with tankmates (the male only because his fins are soooo long he can't catch the faster fish, the female with short fins is just a sweetheart). 1 female got kicked out of her community tank and put in her own for harrassing EVERYONE and suspected of killing the Nerites, 1 male I just have the feeling he probably wouldn't be great in a community tank but I haven't tried it. Nerites too are typically fine and the easiest snail to keep with aggressive or curious tankmates - but there are always exceptions. I'd also encourage you to keep the temp of the tank around 79, top end for the cory but important for the Betta. 

With Betta, it's really in the end PERSONALITY and they are all different. Even when mellow in the store they can be more aggressive in a tank. I'd just be prepared to put them in their own tank or if that's not possible ask whomever you buy it from if you can exchange if Betta 1 doesn't work. The tankmates you've picked are good ones, Embers are fast and Cory can easily get out of the way

Always introduce the Betta last, as @knee said they may chase at first but that can diminish. By adding them last you take less of a chance they'll be territorial. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

With Betta, it's really in the end PERSONALITY and they are all different.

completely agree with this. there is defiantly a spectrum I have seen some very chill bettas.  my female plaket is pretty chill and only occasionally goes after my platys and never trys anything with the corys, which is interesting.

@knee @xXInkedPhoenixX @Sora Thank you for the input! Good to know it still really just boils down to individual personality.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'd just be prepared to put them in their own tank or if that's not possible ask whomever you buy it from if you can exchange if Betta 1 doesn't work.

I'll be getting mine from ACO but tbh I wouldn't hate an excuse to put him in his own tank and get more little guys. Ideally I won't have to but if it happens it happens. I will definitely be getting betta last though!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I love the wild types. You know; B. Mahachiaensis and B. Smaragdina. They’re both on my ‘someday’ list (it’s a long list!).

I think @Fish Folk has some Mahachaiensis? 

I have kept Betta Imbellis… lovely gemstones! Peaceful, generally speaking.

AB850D8B-F75D-459E-B116-DCE9131C3F2C.jpeg.d38c5f6689e87ef370bfa993770c2e01.jpeg

• Love 3

This is fairly topical for me at the moment actually, I'm super new to the hobby but I've just had to pull a plakat out of my community tank. I was actually sold 2 "females", the other female is doing fine and is quite peaceful but this one has been quite aggressive, chasing some of the fish around etc. and while we've never seen the deed have realised we've actually lost 5 neon tetras and an elephant ear guppy, our platies seem to have gotten away unscathed though. Thought the aggressive one must just be an aggressive female but two days ago found him wrapped around the peaceful female squeezing eggs out so put two and two together and came up with male.

PXL_20230322_235249432.MP.jpg

PXL_20230323_004908429.jpg

• Like 3