Do fish get cataracts?

knee

On 3/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Fish get all the eye ailments we do! Our eyes evolved from there’s after all. 

Having that been said that very well could be a scratch or something healing id monitor it to see if it goes away on its own.

Will keep observing! Thank you 😁

On 3/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, Lennie said:

Interesting.

Did some googling and I've found this @knee

https://fishhistopathology.com/?p=2697 

Seems like cataract do exist in fish and there is many reasons that may cause that. That would be hard to sort out which one I guess

Tabla-1.png

This is great info. Thank you @Lennie ☺️

• Like 1

Also dissolved co2 seems to play a role to increase cataract too it seems?

Do you use co2 in that tank?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272754711_Effects_of_Dissolved_Carbon_Dioxide_on_Cataract_Formation_and_Progression_in_Juvenile_Atlantic_Cod_Gadus_morhua_L

https://umaine.edu/cooperative-aquaculture/investigation-of-cataracts-in-atlantic-cod/

No clue if these are any related. I just found it to be interesting and googling with you at the same time hoping to find anything useful! 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:51 AM, knee said:

Noticed one of my panda Cory has a white spot in the eye.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh.  That's tragic.

Yes fish do get cataracts, I've never seen any of the pandas with that before, but I did see it on one of my black corydoras fry (not on any of the others).

I was able to clear up a bunch of it with salt + kanaplex.

If you can isolate that guy, try that and see if you see any improvement after 2 full treatments.

I think Colu had mentioned in my thread it could be the result of a physical trauma as well.  Maybe the shipping caused an issue or something? 😞

On 3/22/2023 at 11:01 AM, Lennie said:

Also dissolved co2 seems to play a role to increase cataract too it seems?

They were in a tank with CO2 for a portion of their life.  The newer/smaller pandas never were.  It would've only been the adults and full grown ones.

Black corydoras and the pandas were never in the same tank and never had the same equipment used so I don't think it's any sort of contamination, but for the sake of clarity this is what I went through.  Little Riddick as she's been dubbed is doing perfectly fine, but just has some eye injury of some kind.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I was able to clear up a bunch of it with salt + kanaplex.

If you can isolate that guy, try that and see if you see any improvement after 2 full treatments.

I can isolate later when I get home from work. The hospital tank I have has been cleaned and has been sitting empty for almost two weeks now. Did you just add kanaplex to the tank or with food? 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:29 PM, knee said:

Did you just add kanaplex to the tank or with food? 

I always feel like I'll overdose food and waste meds. I often only do bacterial meds in the water.

The cory does seem to have cataracts. And needs special care. When she was in the tank she stayed in one spot and I'd target feed her. She's got her own tank now just for her.

You can use light and shadows to detect how "blind" the fish is. Moving it along the tank or casting a shadow to see how the fish responds.  Riddick basically has permanent issues and does respond but not well. Has a little trouble seeing food and likes to graze a lot as a result. Sort of scatters around everywhere nosing everything instead of being able to hunt food.  She does respond a lot to vibration. 

I have a blind Cory. It does fine. It gets around finds food with no troubles. He moves slower than some others, but does fine. Not that will happen but if it does he should but ok. The only thing I do that I don’t do in other tanks is feed more small sized sinking food. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...