Ideas for a new breeding projects.

rockfisher

On 3/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, lefty o said:

shrimps.

I have had a horrible time trying to keep shrimp. The only ones I have had and luck with are ghost shrimp. Those no issues with. But I move into neocardia and it a disaster. I could try Amano shrimp.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:17 PM, rockfisher said:

I have a 10 gallon tank and some bins(17-20g) that were homing my extra guppies by sex. I sold 300 guppies from them last week and now I have room to set one and the 10 gallon up. I’m most focused on the 10 but ideas for both. 

Do you like to passively care for fry (I would consider guppies in this category - basically they take care of themselves as long as they can hide and have food) or take a more active role with harvesting and "incubating" eggs and raising the tiny fry?

I've found caring for these CPD fry to be pretty neat to see.  I haven't been at it for long at all, but they've been pretty easy to do with some work on my end.  Now I'm thinking I might try to condition some tetras and breed them.  I like a surmountable challenge with some intervention... basically me tinkering with stuff so I feel more involved. 😄

On the flip side, what got me interested in trying apistos was reading/watching about their parental care which I also find fascinating.  

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 8:31 AM, jwcarlson said:

Do you like to passively care for fry (I would consider guppies in this category - basically they take care of themselves as long as they can hide and have food) or take a more active role with harvesting and "incubating" eggs and raising the tiny fry?

I've found caring for these CPD fry to be pretty neat to see.  I haven't been at it for long at all, but they've been pretty easy to do with some work on my end.  Now I'm thinking I might try to condition some tetras and breed them.  I like a surmountable challenge with some intervention... basically me tinkering with stuff so I feel more involved. 😄

On the flip side, what got me interested in trying apistos was reading/watching about their parental care which I also find fascinating.  

I have some guppies that I breed pretty heavily. 24Carat guppies and Blue Moscow. I few a few places and I just moved some of the blue Moscow’s that I have been working on to a bigger bin(I use a lot of plastic bins and muck buckets to breed guppies). The are a purplish pink. I haven’t seen any like that and I have been working to get that color isolated. I think I’m to that point. The LFS said when I get some more they will take as many as I can raise for a few months. 
   I’m have about 20 tanks, bins and buckets, so I have quit a bit go but I’m pretty passive in my care. I have mostly angels because I can always sell them. Also have Escondido Carpintis, the guppies, BN’s, and L-333, along with a some inverts. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:22 AM, Theplatymaster said:

ive heard these are very difficult to breed, and need brackish water for breeding.

you have heard correctly. 😛

My suggestion: Fork-tailed rainbows. Spawn them in mops in the 10, raise the fry in the bins. They are almost always welcomed by fish stores, and the return is a bit better than most fancy guppies. 

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, TOtrees said:

My suggestion: Fork-tailed rainbows. Spawn them in mops in the 10, raise the fry in the bins. They are almost always welcomed by fish stores, and the return is a bit better than most fancy guppies. 

I’ve been looking into raising rainbows! I think I need to setup more tanks before the Spring fish bug gets me fully! 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:17 PM, rockfisher said:

I have a 10 gallon tank and some bins(17-20g) that were homing my extra guppies by sex. I sold 300 guppies from them last week and now I have room to set one and the 10 gallon up. I’m most focused on the 10 but ideas for both. 

Pseudomugil gertrudae Are another I’m looking into. Maybe if you plan to sell them find a fish that you don’t see many of around you. Of course it’s best that you like to look at them too.

If I were to want a less involved breeding I’d choose a planted neocaradina shrimp with sponge filters. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:28 PM, rockfisher said:

The LFS said when I get some more they will take as many as I can raise for a few months.

If you don't have any "natural" inspiration for one species or another, I'd straight up ask the LFS what species they want and need, then choose something from that list. If nothing else, it would be a hedge against being overrun with fry you can't re-home.

On 3/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

If you don't have any "natural" inspiration for one species or another, I'd straight up ask the LFS what species they want and need, then choose something from that list. If nothing else, it would be a hedge against being overrun with fry you can't re-home.

Im back and forth if I want to do something that interests me or make some money. I was selling  a ton of angels to the LFS but now my angels are really producing and I have been almost giving them away online. So im thinking some that might be fun for me. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, rockfisher said:

Im back and forth if I want to do something that interests me or make some money. I was selling  a ton of angels to the LFS but now my angels are really producing and I have been almost giving them away online. So im thinking some that might be fun for me. 

That makes sense. I hope one way or the other something finds you!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:13 PM, TOtrees said:

I would not suggest forktails in a 10 gallon. They are very active fish. A 10 gallon would not give them space. I even had them in my 20 tall for a brief period of time and they were not nearly as active as they usually are. 20 long minimum imo. Fish size is not the only determining factor in tank size. Energy level and other factors have to be considered too. 

On 3/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, Cmike15 said:

Pseudomugil gertrudae

I also have these. They are less active than forktails. 

On 3/22/2023 at 2:53 PM, MAC said:

Try some killifish. Fundulopanchax gardneri

This is my top vote and something jve considered myself many times. 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've done this before. Good advice!

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Thanks 2