Overpriced?

Scaperoot

I contacted a LFS yesterday to ask whether they sold Purple Pencilfish or Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. I was so happy to learn that they had both. I've never owned these, so I have no idea how much they normally sell for. The Rainbowfish were $13, and the Pencilfish were $12. Does that sound about right? I don't think I've paid that much for Nano fish before, not even for CPDs. I did find both available online for about half off, but I can't speak to the quality.

Pencilfish depending on rarity of species go for around $6-25. I believe purple have always sat around the $12-15 mark.

The dwarf neon rainbows sound pretty high. My understanding is they sell them at one of the chain petstores. So most people try to compete with that price. Which has always sat at around $5.99. But if they are locally bred they are going to be worth more, so perhaps that’s where the markup is coming from?

On 3/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, Scaperoot said:

I contacted a LFS yesterday to ask whether they sold Purple Pencilfish or Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish. I was so happy to learn that they had both. I've never owned these, so I have no idea how much they normally sell for. The Rainbowfish were $13, and the Pencilfish were $12. Does that sound about right? I don't think I've paid that much for Nano fish before, not even for CPDs. I did find both available online for about half off, but I can't speak to the quality.

From what I’ve heard that sounds cheap for the pencils 

On 3/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, Scaperoot said:

Yes that sounds about right. 
And they both need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.