Bottom Dweller for Tiger Barb tank

kcochran

Anyone have any suggestions for bottom dwellers to go along with Tiger Barbs? I have a couple of nerite snails that are taking care of the algae, but was thinking about some cory's but not 100% certain that the Tiger Barbs would be ok with them. Anyone have any experience they could lend on the matter?

On 3/13/2023 at 10:03 AM, kcochran said:

Anyone have any suggestions for bottom dwellers to go along with Tiger Barbs? I have a couple of nerite snails that are taking care of the algae, but was thinking about some cory's but not 100% certain that the Tiger Barbs would be ok with them. Anyone have any experience they could lend on the matter?

Cool water species. So plecos and corydoras are very good to pair with them.

Also is very good as a shrimp cull tank, amanos, loaches (check temps) and a few other things.

I had panda corydoras, clown pleco, BNP, RLP, and Borneo loaches.  All of my tanks usually have amano shrimp as well. Barbs did fine with em as long as you give the shrimp cover.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, mynameisnobody said:

Size of aquarium? How many tiger barbs do you have? 

Definitely an important question as well as setup. Barbs like to swim around and through things.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Cool water species. So plecos and corydoras are very good to pair with them.

Also is very good as a shrimp cull tank, amanos, loaches (check temps) and a few other things.

I had panda corydoras, clown pleco, BNP, RLP, and Borneo loaches.  All of my tanks usually have amano shrimp as well. Barbs did fine with em as long as you give the shrimp cover.

Definitely an important question as well as setup. Barbs like to swim around and through things.

That's what I was hoping for. I was wanting to go with some cory's and a khuli loach to swim around the rock pile.

The tank is a 10 gallon with 11 tiger barbs & 2 nerite snails. Planted heavily across the back half with lots of dwarf sag.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, kcochran said:

The tank is a 10 gallon with 11 tiger barbs & 2 nerite snails. Planted heavily across the back half with lots of dwarf sag.

10 gallon with 11 tiger barbs?? And looking for even more fish?

image.gif.b152bfa903c21fba5a8d98aa4aeca839.gif

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 3

On 3/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, kcochran said:

That's what I was hoping for. I was wanting to go with some cory's and a khuli loach to swim around the rock pile.

I wouldn't suggest adding more fish to the 10 gallon that's already overstocked tiger barbs get about 3-3.5in when fully grown and do better in 29 gallon or bigger long term they are active fish

Edited by Colu

I'd like to reinforce the other replies saying that a 10 gallon tank isn't suitable for tiger barbs, but please don't think we're ganging up on you.  Most of us started fish keeping with inappropriate stocking in uncycled tanks (at least I know I did).

If getting a larger tank isn't an option I'd recommend returning the tiger barbs and getting fish that are appropriate for your tank.  There is a lot of information out there on fish suitable for smaller tanks, but in general you want to pay attention to mature size when selecting fish, and get some that won't get much over an inch long.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, kcochran said:

Barbs want to swim and are extremely, extremely active. I'd recommend a 60-75G tank if you can. 40B works as well. At bare minimum I think having a few in a 20L might be on. Just really depends on the look.

I'd say you're going to run into some aggression due to tank size. Bear that in mind.

Let me see if I can find a video for you to show their day to day behavior.

If you have them in a 10, maybe 3-5. But they will fight. Especially the males.

20L or 29G I think at most you are looking at 6-8, but that might not be optimal still due to how they socially go after each other for dominance.

40 gives them a lot more space. 60B/55 is a longer tank but doesn't have the depth of a 40B or 75G.

Edited by nabokovfan87

While I appreciate everyone's concern about the size of the tank, that wasn't the question I asked. I have a larger tank ready for them when they are ready to move and have grown a bit more. They are quite small right now and I am aware of their needs as they get larger. Just wanted others opinions on bottom dwellers that others might have experienced before in conjunction with the Tiger Barbs. I have my own opinions that I have experienced in the past with the Tiger Barbs, but wanted to compare it with what you all have experienced as well. Lesson learned. I'll be sure to read only going forward and listen to others on their YouTube videos going forward.

Let's remember Cory's comments on the live stream a few weeks ago about commenting on others stocking of their tanks since you don't necessarily have all the information before you comment.

On 3/13/2023 at 11:36 PM, kcochran said:

Let's remember Cory's comments on the live stream a few weeks ago about commenting on others stocking of their tanks since you don't necessarily have all the information before you comment.

Well, in this forum, everyone's concern is the fish and providing them a good care.

Asking and trying to learn is always nice. But answers in fishkeeping are generally not direct but needs to touch lots of points to provide the best of help.

Your question at the beginning leads to "I have two nerites but I want more clean up crew members for my tiger barbs", and then," I have my tiger barbs in a 10g".

Corys and kuhlis won't fit in that 10g ideally as a part of grow out tank anyway, as it is already overstocked the way it is. And smaller than ideal sized tank and group sizes, tiger barbs gets agressive. Most corys grow in big sizes, and loaches need a big  sifting surface. And we can by no means assume you are planning to move them from the way the question asked. 

On 3/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, kcochran said:

hat's what I was hoping for. I was wanting to go with some cory's and a khuli loach to swim around the rock pile.

Also this info matches your avatar and the pics you have shared in another topic, and if so, you also have another fish there too, and your tigers seems a pretty good size that is out of 10g limit already, from last year.

If the pics you have shared belong to another tanks with rockpiles and dwarf sag and tiger barbs from last year, then okay.

Again, our concern is fish's wellbeing, so we just gonna advice it even if it is not what was asked.

Everyone here will try to help you with their best knowledge. Noone really is judgy here. If someone mentions something, it is almost always for the good. This is the only place I've never seen someone trying to proving a point or acting bossy really. Don't take the suggestions negatively please.

Edited by Lennie

On 3/13/2023 at 4:05 PM, Lennie said:

Well, in this forum, everyone's concern is the fish and providing them a good care.

Asking and trying to learn is always nice. But answers in fishkeeping are generally not direct but needs to touch lots of points to provide the best of help.

Your question at the beginning leads to "I have two nerites but I want more clean up crew members for my tiger barbs", and then," I have my tiger barbs in a 10g".

Corys and kuhlis won't fit in that 10g ideally as a part of grow out tank anyway, as it is already overstocked the way it is. And smaller than ideal sized tank and group sizes, tiger barbs gets agressive. Most corys grow in big sizes, and loaches need a big  sifting surface. And we can by no means assume you are planning to move them from the way the question asked. 

Also this info matches your avatar and the pics you have shared in another topic, and if so, you also have another fish there too, and your tigers seems a pretty good size that is out of 10g limit already, from last year.

If the pics you have shared belong to another tanks with rockpiles and dwarf sag and tiger barbs from last year, then okay.

Again, our concern is fish's wellbeing, so we just gonna advice it even if it is not what was asked.

Everyone here will try to help you with their best knowledge. Noone really is judgy here. If someone mentions something, it is almost always for the good. This is the only place I've never seen someone trying to proving a point or acting bossy really. Don't take the suggestions negatively please.

Thanks for continuing to make assumptions and proving my point. 

I have many tanks (lots of sand and rock piles in many of them with dwarf sag - it multiplies quickly) and the fish are moved around to appropriately sized aquariums as they grow.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:29 AM, kcochran said:

Thanks for continuing to make assumptions and proving my point. 

I have many tanks (lots of sand and rock piles in many of them with dwarf sag - it multiplies quickly) and the fish are moved around to appropriately sized aquariums as they grow.

I'm down to be wrong and to have everything said to be an assumption.

I just hope they can make it into one of those many tanks bigger than 10g before it is almost a year since last august. Took some time to be a grow out tank for 11 barbs, I "assume".

Good luck man.

Cheers,

On 3/14/2023 at 12:35 AM, kcochran said:

This felt very helpful, by the way.

I tagged you an only ex tiger barb keeper I know of.

Too bad I couldn't hide my shocking reaction at that point. ;D

You are welcome 

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:40 PM, Lennie said:

I'm down to be wrong and to have everything said to be an assumption.

I just hope they can make it into one of those many tanks bigger than 10g before it is almost a year since last august. Took some time to be a grow out tank for 11 barbs, I "assume".

Good luck man.

Cheers,

I tagged you an only ex tiger barb keeper I know of.

Too bad I couldn't hide my shocking reaction at that point. ;D

You are welcome 

The barbs in question are a bit smaller than a nickel at this point. I have more than one tank as i “assume” others here do. 

Referring me to the other person you knew that also kept them was appreciated 

• Like 1

I would personally not keep pymgy cories with tiger barbs. Their activity level is nothing to them, I think they may feel insecure between tiger barbs. They are super tiny and sensitive. And in many peoples experience, they are shy, which mine are not really.

I have also kept them in a group of 6, and then 16. The increased group size has a huge affect on their behavior.

From bigger cories, I currently have sterbais, but I kinda even regret keeping them in my 29g. Taking that tank down soon, ordered a new 160 Liters 100x40x40 tank today. I  think they will fit there much better. 29g feels so small for sterbais. At least in my opinion. And they grew up pretty fast, but reached sexual maturity pretty late, took longer than a year, almost 1.5 years.

That's the all my experience I can share regarding corys if it is any help

Also why you don't wanna keep your new tigers with other ones in a bigger tank? You no longer have the other ones?

• Thanks 1

@kcochran When you ask what kind of bottom dwellers can be tank mates with tiger barbs, the answer solely depends on the size of the aquarium. For example, a school of clown loaches would be perfect, however they reach 12” each so they would be inadequate. If you’re just looking for a random list then google is your best friend. However, if you are looking for experiences, then they will be catered to the experience of the fish keeper, not necessarily what you want to hear. Good luck to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20190308_092459.jpg.bfc2033b332aeb143159aa5bae33cdf3.jpg

For reference, this is my tiger Barb tank. At one time I had 15. At one point I had 30. It's a very nice tank and I definitely miss it.

Size aside, the behavior of the fish is where my focus is. Having a fish that will destroy the rest of them for the sheer survival of itself isn't condusive to what your goal is.

I watched the barbs in that tank kill off one another one by one.  The weakest one in the group was always stressed and attacked until it was removed to recover or killed.

You have to know how to care for these ones and have adequate setup to do so, like a secondary QT/recovery tank.

Toss in something like a RTBS (also in this tank) and you're giving that fish something to go after if they get to close to the sharkminnow's area. If that area isn't big enough, the barbs have nowhere to escape to and they will either jump or die from those wounds.

I think the main goal here is that we all want you to succeed. No one wants to step in and say "do it this way or else" and I think all of us were focused on answering your question.  As @mynameisnobody. mentioned, sometimes we have to ask clarifying questions. Sometimes we need more detail and that detail sheds new light on the situation.

Best of luck with your tank and your fish.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm going to make this simple. There are multiple people in this thread that are fighting with each other. I can solve this by banning people if I need to.

A correct response would be: I'd try maybe some Malaysian trumpet snails, or corydoras, maybe some loaches. You could try a red lizard catfish, and others will chime in with more suggestions. Just a btw I found it easier to keep my tiger barbs in a larger tank long term. (speak from your experience, not from what they should do.)

Easy as that. They can come back with more questions or ask for more help. I know I can keep 11 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank with tankmates for probably their entire life, with auto water change, live foods. Heck I believe I could spawn them as well. We don't know if this is a 1 day setup,a  10 year setup, if they have 100 years of experience or they are just a troll. But it is our jobs to treat each as someone genuinely looking for help with their question asked. I don't see anywhere it was asked if 10 gallons was enough for 11 tiger barbs.

I've locked this thread and will be on the lookout for anymore behavior like this.