Tank Reset

sairving

Hello everyone!  My tank is a hot mess right now. I was promoted at work a few weeks ago. Then I caught the latest respiratory virus going around the airport, ended up with an infection that's taken two rounds of steroids, antibiotics, and an inhaler to clear up.  Starting to feel human again. 

My 10 gallon tank is an algae filled, snails all over the place, overgrown mess. My tidal filter died. The only thing I could find in stock on such short notice was a top fin pro 30. It's modified to work in the 10 gallon. A bit over kill but it seems to be helping right now. 

I'm thinking new substrate, salvage what plants I can, and buy more plants.  Anyone have any other ideas?

PXL_20230304_004049248.jpg.68b0a5672f826dc7ee9b5e82becdd65d.jpg

PXL_20230304_004036966.jpg.a4f497328ac7d404d7f651ede9eda3ec.jpgPXL_20230304_004023975.jpg.aa4fdad71b76399131c52db7e4677aa3.jpg

• Love 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

It’s hard to tell from the pictures but it looks savable. Maybe do some maintenance, manually remove the algae, and, get some floating plants. I swear by floating plants they just don’t like to much flow. 

I know I need to pull the a chunk of the Val's because of algae. It's been growing on the wood and heater too.

I don't think the state of your tank calls for a full "reset" - maybe it'd be worthwhile to get back into normal dosing, do some extra water changes, and try to get the tank chemistry back to what you consider normal. From there, manual algae removal (or the addition of a few amano shrimp or similar) will eliminate the algae that's grown. To me, that seems like it'd be sufficient to get you back on track.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:04 PM, Chris said:

I don't think the state of your tank calls for a full "reset" - maybe it'd be worthwhile to get back into normal dosing, do some extra water changes, and try to get the tank chemistry back to what you consider normal. From there, manual algae removal (or the addition of a few amano shrimp or similar) will eliminate the algae that's grown. To me, that seems like it'd be sufficient to get you back on track.

Is there a species of shrimp that does well in water with high ph, gh, and kh? Water parameters are the main reason I've avoided shrimp. Buffering substrates only work for about two months in my water.

Oh darn, I guess I have an excuse now to visit my life lol.

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1

Hey, glad you’re feeling better! I’d say start by manually removing large clumps of algae and trimming plants. Then resume regular water changes and maybe adjust your lighting strength or duration a bit to minimize algae. You could quarantine a male molly and add him as a tank tidier if you cannot keep shrimp. In my tanks mollies do a lot of heavy lifting keeping surfaces clean. Give yourself any new plants you want just because you want them! 

On 3/3/2023 at 9:54 PM, PineSong said:

Hey, glad you’re feeling better! I’d say start by manually removing large clumps of algae and trimming plants. Then resume regular water changes and maybe adjust your lighting strength or duration a bit to minimize algae. You could quarantine a male molly and add him as a tank tidier if you cannot keep shrimp. In my tanks mollies do a lot of heavy lifting keeping surfaces clean. Give yourself any new plants you want just because you want them! 

I'm glad this respiratory infection is finally clearing up too. Since the start of the pandemic, I avoided getting sick. Three years later, one cold caused a whole lot of problems.

I don't need the shrimp to breed, I'm just worried about them not being able to molt properly. A molly is a good idea though. 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:34 PM, sairving said:

Is there a species of shrimp that does well in water with high ph, gh, and kh? Water parameters are the main reason I've avoided shrimp. Buffering substrates only work for about two months in my water.

Oh darn, I guess I have an excuse now to visit my life lol.

I've got hard water and haven't had issues with neos or amanos, FWIW.

A molly or an American Flag Fish are also great ideas.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:07 AM, Chris said:

I've got hard water and haven't had issues with neos or amanos, FWIW.

A molly or an American Flag Fish are also great ideas.

I think I'm going to try some neos or amanos for dead plant and algae control, going to buy some plants today and pull out the half dead ones.  

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

You could pull your plants and use Reverse Respiration to eradicate the algae and save many of your plants. 
https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/forum/8-photos-videos-journals/

not certain why it won’t post the whole thread. It under plants tab on this forum. 

I have some anubias that I most definitely want to save.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, sairving said:

I have some anubias that I most definitely want to save.

Soak in plain seltzer in the dark for 12 hours. Then submerge in Aerated plain water. It will kill the algae but not remove it. Manually clean the algae off or let shrimp and snails eat the dead algae. If you return it to a tank with no shrimp or snails to eat it the dead algae provides a nutrient breeding ground for new algae. 
You can also let it set in plain water u til the dead algae dissolves 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

That did not go like I expected it too. The sand had algae growing in it too. Ended up removing the fish, scooping out most of the sand, and added fluval stratum. I planted the crypts, aquarium lily, some variety of repens, and saved some of the Vals. I'll test the ammonia levels tomorrow and do a water change. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, sairving said:

@PineSong My ph generally sits around 8.2. Aquasoils seem to only buffer the water for 2-3 months. I would like to try shrimp in this tank. 

Unfortunately, I am terrible at water chemistry and tend to only retain a fragment of what applies to my own water conditions--I hope someone else can help you know if shrimp will be okay at that pH.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:52 PM, PineSong said:

Unfortunately, I am terrible at water chemistry and tend to only retain a fragment of what applies to my own water conditions--I hope someone else can help you know if shrimp will be okay at that pH.

I know suluwasi shrimp prefer hard water.  If I can find them from a local hobbyist, it might be better too.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:33 AM, Guppysnail said:

Soak in plain seltzer in the dark for 12 hours. Then submerge in Aerated plain water. It will kill the algae but not remove it. Manually clean the algae off or let shrimp and snails eat the dead algae. If you return it to a tank with no shrimp or snails to eat it the dead algae provides a nutrient breeding ground for new algae. 
You can also let it set in plain water u til the dead algae dissolves 

I may ask a lfs if they will discount some plants that have a decent amount of bba and give this a shot