Fuzzy substance

Scaperoot

On 2/18/2023 at 3:03 PM, Scaperoot said:

It turns out that my FIL had not done a water change in 2 months. Aside from that, does he need to physically remove this from plants and decorations? Should we consider using Excel? 

Can you have them run a test on the tap water so we can double check the tank parameters. Your GH and KH results are pretty high off the chart.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:03 PM, Scaperoot said:

It turns out that my FIL had not done a water change in 2 months.

I wondered, seeing the KH and PH on the strip. What does his tap test? If it's a lot different, he should probably do a few smaller water changes over the course of a few days to a week rather than one big change, so it doesn't change PH too rapidly.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 6:03 PM, Scaperoot said:

does he need to physically remove this from plants and decorations?

I would just pull and rinse what you he can and let the tank take care of the rest. Tell him not to go hog wild with large water changes right away. Start small and work his way up will be more gentle on the inhabitants 

What kind of fish are in the tank? I ask because that messy stuff looks like the kind of cleanup job that mollies specialize in, and platies handle pretty well, too.

If his fish are compatible with any of the above, you could add a couple or male mollies or platies (male to eliminate risk of babies) and let them take care of it--after doing some water changes.