Velvet, ich, or?

ads90

I just brought home these chili rasboras from the co-op today, is this ich or velvet?  I'm having trouble getting pictures that are any clearer than these, but I'm hoping someone will be able to tell for me. The rest of them look fine but I'm guessing there's no reason to pull this one if they were sharing a tank at the store, so I'm looking at treating the whole tank if necessary.

IMG_E4142.JPG.2c3508f3ef34af56b4448a416b5769ea.JPGIMG_E4144.JPG.8ef482e6334712b0b39320f2239cac27.JPGIMG_E4184.JPG.6fb310a73e6665ca02de304011c26d2a.JPGIMG_E4147.JPG.d9058c29a905027ad7f73ae8bc4923a6.JPG

Edited by ads90

Can be tough to tell, looks like ich.  But I have had epistylis too, and it sure looked similar.  I don't see any on the eyes, but see quite a bit overall, so that's another point towards ich.  

I do not think it looks like velvet, but I have also never experienced it. 

What temperature is the tank? 

I run my tank at 78- not sure what it was at the store. All other water parameters are pristine. I'll be relieved if it's ich, I was just worried with how small the spots looked. Good point about the eyes, I didn't know that was a differentiation! Thanks for the input

Checking in to see how your fish are doing? I bought mine from them on the 19th. Today I’ve noticed mine look the same. I don’t think they looked like this before hand but I also had the lighting lower and they’re so tiny. 
  Going to have to skip salt myself, have shrimp in the tank

On 2/25/2023 at 4:56 PM, Furbs said:

Checking in to see how your fish are doing? I bought mine from them on the 19th. Today I’ve noticed mine look the same. I don’t think they looked like this before hand but I also had the lighting lower and they’re so tiny. 
  Going to have to skip salt myself, have shrimp in the tank

My fish are doing well, one still has a few spots but that's the last of it on the group I got. I've been treating with ich-x and slightly raised temperature, I have shrimp as well. The fish are tiny and the spots are really hard to see, but I think what I'm doing is working. 

• Love 1

So at the 7 day mark with daily ich x treatments 82-85 degree water I’m not seeing a clear improvement in my fish. Some of them got some more patchy spots so I started adding in salt. I went back to the store, noticed their fish looked the same as ours. Also I’ve seen no flashing or the fish rubbing on anything. Their color has been getting better and better. They seem active and enjoy playing in the bubbles and current. They have been eating well. 

01C07D90-1F03-4AFC-98BA-56F6CCB9014A.png.84abad5880310f8917981a63ad9dfc1c.png

I was talking with one of the staff and he thought it looked more like episylis or possibly velvet. The fish are so small and fast I can’t tell if it is on their eyes or not.  Sadly I’ve forgetting the details of what he recommended but it was something like increase the salt, drop the temp back down and just continue the ich x anyways. 

I’ve seen @Colu posting some very informative information on episylis maybe they can chime in. 

It's difficult to tell off your picture if  the spots are raised he's how you tell the difference between ich and epistylis if it's epistylis you want maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and ick x or aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons if you have live plants I would treat with maracyn2 and ick X if you don't have live plants then I would treat with maracyn2 and salt @Furbs

IMG_20230125_225944.jpg

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, Colu said:

It's difficult to tell off your picture if  the spots are raised he's how you tell the difference between ich and epistylis if it's epistylis you want maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and ick x or aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons if you have live plants I would treat with maracyn2 and ick X if you don't have live plants then I would treat with maracyn2 and salt @Furbs

IMG_20230125_225944.jpg

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

From some angles it looks like salt was sprinkled in them from above, very fine, but it could also just be the tiny white specs messing with my eyes.  Since moving them into a 10g quarantine tank they’re not noticing food super reliably.  I think I’ll continue with the ich x and salt. If they don’t improve in a day or two I’ll try to find m2 locally and maybe mix it into repashy or something and hope they eat that 

• Like 1

For what it's worth the ich treatment worked on mine, it did take a little longer than I would have liked but it worked. Your pic doesn't look like epistylis to me but maybe the ones in the store more resemble that. I didn't end up losing any and it didn't spread any further than the new chilis.