Pretty algae

bryanisag

On 2/17/2023 at 8:43 AM, JJenna said:

I can't enlarge your picture enough to give a definitive answer, it could be staghorn algae. You might be able to see if the tips continue branching pattern as in this photo. It does come in a various colors. 

Identify and Destroy Staghorn Algae In Just 2 Days - FishLab

Thanks for the response. I wasn't very clear in my OP. The sad little piece of Christmas moss growing on the rock isn't what I'm talking about. The entire rock is covered in a purple algae like a diatom algae. The tank walls are covered in it to but it's mixed with a green algae there. The rock started a very light brown color. 

PXL_20210616_044245219.jpg

On 2/17/2023 at 1:19 PM, bryanisag said:

The sad little piece of Christmas moss

Well, color me red 🤣...that was my initial reaction, "I don't think that's algae, it looks like Christmas moss" As to the change in color of the rocks, I have no clue...going to follow to see if someone knows. 

The one tank I had with dragon stone and texas holy rock developed this color algae too. Some days it was a deep green some days a vibrant brick red like yours. I wonder if the color is from feeding off minerals in these rocks. I don’t know enough about geology to know if they have naturally high iron deposits. But in my experience iron usually turns algae a lime green not red. It’s weird and I can’t explain it… curses the algae class I didn’t get to take in college rears it’s ugly head again

Also cute horseface loach! 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:15 PM, bryanisag said:

I'm really liking the color of this algae covered dragon stone. Anyone know what type it is? Should I start dosing easy iron to make it neon red? 

PXL_20230217_031219426.jpg

I have this stuff all over my plants in my 125 and all over my rock in my 15. Hate this stuff, but im glad you like it, easier to make peace with it than trying to get rid of it and scrubbing it off haha. 

I was watching a youtube vid by the channel The Secret History Living In Your Aquarium, and in one part of a vid I was watching he showed one of his favorite tanks that has red/purple diatom algae just like yours.  I can't find the vid in my history, but I swear I saw it!!  He said something like it's rare so he keeps it that way.

• Love 1