egranadosjr

I've had my male gardneri for about a year and I added the female about 2 months ago. She is hardy, active and now chunky! I put together a spawning mop and did some research on preparation of the mop and placement. About a week after I placed the mop in, I took it out to check for eggs and mistakenly missed all the eggs. I made the mistake of not looking hard enough the first time I took out the mop. You've got to look at the top of the mop! I left the mop out to dry so that I could try in a week. I was cleaning the mop before putting it in again this week and found the dried eggs. I was bummed but still put the eggs in a tank water filled cup. 

The tank is planted and has a trio of CPD 

This week I've been more on top of it and now I've got eggs! Happy valentines day to my fish-o. Just about 20 eggs. I will update with incubation. I am not sure which Gardneri I have but my guess is P82

Tank: 5.5 Spec V

Water Parameters attached

IMG_7031.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

IMG_7021.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm going to be incubating them in water with a solution called Ed Warner Solution. It's from this LRB aquatics video at 45:25. I did buy a heating pad as my room is not staying at 72+ degrees. I will keep the reptile heating pad and the eggs in a styrofoam cooler until they hatch. 

• Like 2

Awesome job!! I just got 2 pair of Aphyosemion Striatum the red striped killifish not long ago I’m going to be checking the mop for eggs this weekend thanks for the tips I’ll be sure to check it very good so I don’t miss anything. My plan was to move the mop to another tank with the eggs still on it and let  them hatch. Any reason you decided against that and pulled them off? Trying to figure out what’s best!

• Like 1

Awesome! Another killi person!

I'm new to killis and mostly have only read about annuals. Sounds like F Gardneri are fairly easy to breed. 

Where were you able to buy an individual female?

On 2/14/2023 at 10:31 PM, MAC said:

Nice! Gardneri are great fish and fun to breed. I always have a hatchery and grow out going from my pair. 

My LFS loves them too. 

I'd be interested in seeing your setup too

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, Schuyler said:

Awesome! Another killi person!

I'm new to killis and mostly have only read about annuals. Sounds like F Gardneri are fairly easy to breed. 

Where were you able to buy an individual female?

I'd be interested in seeing your setup too

All they had was females at my LFS, and I was able to buy a chunky one. Sure, which part of the set up would you like to see @Schuyler?

On 2/16/2023 at 4:59 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Awesome job!! I just got 2 pair of Aphyosemion Striatum the red striped killifish not long ago I’m going to be checking the mop for eggs this weekend thanks for the tips I’ll be sure to check it very good so I don’t miss anything. My plan was to move the mop to another tank with the eggs still on it and let  them hatch. Any reason you decided against that and pulled them off? Trying to figure out what’s best!

Hi! Your A. Striatum inspired me. I pulled mine because I wasn't sure if she would eat them. So I saved some once I found them. I think I've got about 30 or so. Since it was my first time, I also wanted to try it this way. Also, I have them in a Fluval Spec V 5.5 Gallon tank with black Flourite sand, so I was worried I wouldn't see any. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:11 AM, egranadosjr said:

All they had was females at my LFS, and I was able to buy a chunky one. Sure, which part of the set up would you like to see @Schuyler?

Hi! Your A. Striatum inspired me. I pulled mine because I wasn't sure if she would eat them. So I saved some once I found them. I think I've got about 30 or so. Since it was my first time, I also wanted to try it this way. Also, I have them in a Fluval Spec V 5.5 Gallon tank with black Flourite sand, so I was worried I wouldn't see any. 

Awesome thanks for letting me know! 30 sounds like a good amount that’s exciting

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I lost the male to Camallanus worms about two weeks ago, so the pressure is on! I had my first egg hatch today. They sure are tiny. I will submit a form to my local club BAP. I think the first food will be BBS or boiled egg yolk slurry.KillifishFry.jpg.f2cf1ad9e1b00c2a0b9be9e57d0aacdf.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 8:03 AM, egranadosjr said:

UPDATE: I lost the male to Camallanus worms about two weeks ago, so the pressure is on! I had my first egg hatch today. They sure are tiny. I will submit a form to my local club BAP. I think the first food will be BBS or boiled egg yolk slurry.KillifishFry.jpg.f2cf1ad9e1b00c2a0b9be9e57d0aacdf.jpg

Sorry to hear about your male what a bummer! Not sure if they’ll be able to eat live bbs right away. I’ve never tried egg yolk I’ve seen it done! I feed hikari first bites until the fry are large enough for bbs. Good luck it would be awesome to carry on your males legacy with his babies!

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 7:22 AM, egranadosjr said:

Bellies full of BBS. There are a solid 6 fry. Not the biggest bunch but they’re going strong!

2195E469-86C0-46A0-86B1-3BDCE3700A41.jpeg

6DEB9B38-6926-4DE0-8C91-B38D1188CC08.jpeg

5D6F9C08-1CC9-41AF-957E-671AAEED97D4.jpeg

550AAFED-8409-4727-9F2D-41F9BB67AB99.jpeg

Great pics 6 fry is better than none! They look  so cute with their fat little orange bellies! About how old are they? Just over a week or so?

• 4 weeks later...

They’re growing like weeds. Most resemble the female but one has some darker finnage coming. They’re hard to get in one frame but all six are still kicking. 

Weaned off brine shrimp and now ravage the hakari vibra bites and nano flakes from extreme. 

IMG_8134.jpeg

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8127.jpeg

IMG_8122.jpeg

• Love 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, egranadosjr said:

They’re growing like weeds. Most resemble the female but one has some darker finnage coming. They’re hard to get in one frame but all six are still kicking. 

Weaned off brine shrimp and now ravage the hakari vibra bites and nano flakes from extreme. 

IMG_8134.jpeg

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8127.jpeg

IMG_8122.jpeg

Congrats you aren’t kidding they did grow like weeds!! What size tank did you raise them up in?

• 4 weeks later...