Ordered some gold laser cories from aqua huna. I just have a couple questions.

Gannon

Are these usually wild caught?

Does aqua huna quarantine fish for any amount of time?

These two questions are me gauging how long should they spend in quarantine. Usually I do 2 weeks with the quarantine med trio and put them in displays, but wild caught fish or fish with other concerns stay for 4 weeks or so. I only have a few endlers and things in the display, so if they're big when they come in I'm considering quarantining them in the display tank and only skipping using ich-x

And my final question is abbout their activity levels/shyness. I've heard some people say they are really active and some say they are very reclusive. I ordered 8 and have a scape that should offer at least a decent number of places to hide and I can add more. What would be some good things I could do to make sure they are active and happy? 

Thanks for any help you guys can offer with any of my questions! I had a hard time finding consistent info on aqua hunas practices with quarantining and which fish are wild or captive bred. 

Edited by Gannon

I always have to med trio my fish I get from them. But part of that could just be the long trip. Usually a couple look pretty sickly with the sunken in stomach. Never seen any come in with visible ich, but I bottle of ich x goes a loooong way so I always use it anyways. If you’re going to quarantine for 2 weeks it would be smart to just do the antibiotics one week then the parasite/ich the following week. I’ve had most success with doing that.

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 10:59 PM, Phoenix1391 said:

I always have to med trio my fish I get from them. But part of that could just be the long trip. Usually a couple look pretty sickly with the sunken in stomach. Never seen any come in with visible ich, but I bottle of ich x goes a loooong way so I always use it anyways. If you’re going to quarantine for 2 weeks it would be smart to just do the antibiotics one week then the parasite/ich the following week. I’ve had most success with doing that.

I usually personally do a round of parasite stuff first thing alongside bacterial and end with another to get the eggs of the parasites that aren't killed. It at least makes me feel better haha. 

On 2/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, Gannon said:

I ordered 8 and have a scape that should offer at least a decent number of places to hide and I can add more. What would be some good things I could do to make sure they are active and happy? 

If you can please feel free to show off the tank.
A. Open area (at least one or two)
B.  Cover / shaded areas
C.  Plants for them to hide in and feel hidden help.  Stems, grasses, etc. all do well because the corydoras feel hidden.  You know.... hidden.
Image*After : image : cow hiding behind a tree field shade ...

On 2/13/2023 at 9:22 PM, lewk said:

I do remember videos from ACO touring Aqua Huna where it was mentioned that they quarantined, but I don't know if they said how long or not. 

Here is the video I'd recommend watching.  I have zero issues supporting AH.  They do a job that a lot of people don't really have access to (if you don't have a local store, its a place to get some fish for an affordable price!)

On 2/13/2023 at 10:12 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Phoenix1391 same here. I stopped ordering from them for this very reason. They were always great, but I prefer healthier stock if I have a choice.

They did just move to a new facility, larger, and the hope being (from me) that they can have some more rare fish, special orders, and be able to get in some more dedicated facilities in case some fish come in pretty bad requiring treatment.  It's all down to method, down to how they bring in fish to treat everything.  I didn't have any issues with the fish I brought in from AH, but that's a small sample size.  Compared to the tanks at the big box store, it's a massive upgrade.... and I mean that as to express how depressing it is to go to the big box store close to the house.  I always wish I could fix their issues.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, Gannon said:

These two questions are me gauging how long should they spend in quarantine. Usually I do 2 weeks with the quarantine med trio and put them in displays, but wild caught fish or fish with other concerns stay for 4 weeks or so. I only have a few endlers and things in the display, so if they're big when they come in I'm considering quarantining them in the display tank and only skipping using ich-x

For basically anything, I would recommend a minimum of 14 days QT.  Better is to double that if you can.  Sometimes it takes time for illness to show up.  Stress of shipping and then acclimating can take weeks for some parameters.  You also don't know where these fish were before your care.

Edited by nabokovfan87
random typo, added second video
  • Like 1

They do qt their fishes; and i've not had any issues with diseases per sey but their stock does seem to be not the healthiest. I find them optimal for routine things like tetra/rasbora but for more 'premium' fishes such as cichild and clown loaches i go with wetspot. I've had some serious issues with some fishes just not being healthy  - not actual identifiable diseases but something is just off. As a simple example i purchased 4 clown loaches - 2 from wetspot and to from aquahuana. A year later none of the 4 died but one of the ones from aquahuana just refuses to grow and it has some red around the gills - maybe poisoning? It behaves lively enough and schools with the other 10 - it just doesn't want to grow. Same thing with their yoyo  - one of them just refuses to grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 I am aware of all the changes and like I said, they were always great. However after a couple of times of receiving less than stellar stock, it becomes discouraging. I actually view them exactly as @anewbie does, I’d order danios from them, but never a rainbow fish. 
This is in no way bashing them. I actually encourage people to use them, however I’m a bit pickier about what enters this fish house. 

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 3

On 2/14/2023 at 12:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you can please feel free to show off the tank.
A. Open area (at least one or two)
B.  Cover / shaded areas
C.  Plants for them to hide in and feel hidden help.  Stems, grasses, etc. all do well because the corydoras feel hidden.  You know.... hidden.
Image*After : image : cow hiding behind a tree field shade ...

Here is the video I'd recommend watching.  I have zero issues supporting AH.  They do a job that a lot of people don't really have access to (if you don't have a local store, its a place to get some fish for an affordable price!)

They did just move to a new facility, larger, and the hope being (from me) that they can have some more rare fish, special orders, and be able to get in some more dedicated facilities in case some fish come in pretty bad requiring treatment.  It's all down to method, down to how they bring in fish to treat everything.  I didn't have any issues with the fish I brought in from AH, but that's a small sample size.  Compared to the tanks at the big box store, it's a massive upgrade.... and I mean that as to express how depressing it is to go to the big box store close to the house.  I always wish I could fix their issues.

For basically anything, I would recommend a minimum of 14 days QT.  Better is to double that if you can.  Sometimes it takes time for illness to show up.  Stress of shipping and then acclimating can take weeks for some parameters.  You also don't know where these fish were before your care.

Here is a picture of the tank. Crypts melted and are slowly bouncing back which provide more cover and there is a pleco cave in the back right. Also space under the log. And lots of shade in the back left. And I think a good amount of open space. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:55 AM, anewbie said:

They do qt their fishes; and i've not had any issues with diseases per sey but their stock does seem to be not the healthiest. I find them optimal for routine things like tetra/rasbora but for more 'premium' fishes such as cichild and clown loaches i go with wetspot. I've had some serious issues with some fishes just not being healthy  - not actual identifiable diseases but something is just off. As a simple example i purchased 4 clown loaches - 2 from wetspot and to from aquahuana. A year later none of the 4 died but one of the ones from aquahuana just refuses to grow and it has some red around the gills - maybe poisoning? It behaves lively enough and schools with the other 10 - it just doesn't want to grow. Same thing with their yoyo  - one of them just refuses to grow.

Do you think gold laser cories might come in on the healthier side of things or should I be prepared for some stunted or otherwise unhealthy ones?

1AE11AE0-DF90-40A2-AE9D-8587F7839B77.jpeg

• Like 1

@Gannon Nice setup, there’s nothing wrong with your setup. Now obviously, adding more plants is always better, adding more hidey holes, etc. But anything in life can always get better. I had gold lasers years ago and they were always out and about. I acquired these from arguably the best freshwater aquarium store in NYC. So when I purchased them, they already looked great, hence I can’t say whether you’ll see the results you want, but there’s only one way to find out. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:30 AM, Sharon M said:

I would love to buy from them, but the fish would be traveling from Washington State to Massachusetts. 

I can't justify putting fish through that much stress. 
Ideally, it would be great to buy/trade fish with another hobbyist. 

I would like to do the same, but the aquarium hobby does not have a large pressence in Iowa and I don't even think there is a club anywhere near me. 

On 2/14/2023 at 9:31 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@Gannon Nice setup, there’s nothing wrong with your setup. Now obviously, adding more plants is always better, adding more hidey holes, etc. But anything in life can always get better. I had gold lasers years ago and they were always out and about. I acquired these from arguably the best freshwater aquarium store in NYC. So when I purchased them, they already looked great, hence I can’t say whether you’ll see the results you want, but there’s only one way to find out. 

crossing my fingers that these from aqua huna are good. Thank you for your insights on them. To this point I had only heard good things and its good to know that it isnt all sunshine and rainbows. I found the price hard to believe!

• Like 3

On 2/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, Gannon said:

I would like to do the same, but the aquarium hobby does not have a large pressence in Iowa and I don't even think there is a club anywhere near me. 

crossing my fingers that these from aqua huna are good. Thank you for your insights on them. To this point I had only heard good things and its good to know that it isnt all sunshine and rainbows. I found the price hard to believe!

Hey now... I'm from Iowa?!  Isn't that enough? 😄

• Haha 1

My sterbais just love to sleep together during daytime under driftwood and moss/big plant leaf covers. They don't like open spaces during daytime and they are more active during night time. They also use mosses for laying eggs too, from my experience.

So if you like mosses you may consider adding some. They really enjoy the shades. Fighting moss/hair algae issue can be pain tho :')

image.jpeg.5461810cb3d869a7fd2a1057d00018a7.jpeg

Orange lasers look awesome btw! Hope you get them healthy. Would love to see babies!

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:40 AM, jwcarlson said:

True lol

On 2/14/2023 at 9:43 AM, Lennie said:

My sterbais just love to sleep together during daytime under driftwood and moss/big plant leaf covers. They don't like open spaces during daytime and they are more active during night time. They also use mosses for laying eggs too, from my experience.

So if you like mosses you may consider adding some. They really enjoy the shades. Fighting moss/hair algae issue can be pain tho :')

image.jpeg.5461810cb3d869a7fd2a1057d00018a7.jpeg

Orange lasers look awesome btw! Hope you get them healthy. Would love to see babies!

My sterbais are two years old and havent gotten this big! Maybe I should feed them more bloodworms. 

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 9:40 AM, jwcarlson said:

Hey, me too! I'm not sure where you two are located, but if you're anywhere nearby check out the Quad City Fish Swap! There's one on the 19th. 

Re: all the comments about the health of fish from Aqua Huna: I have only made one order but I would happily order from them again. I ordered some HiFin Paleatus Corys from them and they appeared to be super healthy, and actually have spawned for me multiple times already - I've got about 40 of their fry growing out as we speak. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:05 AM, lewk said:

Hey, me too! I'm not sure where you two are located, but if you're anywhere nearby check out the Quad City Fish Swap! There's one on the 19th. 

Re: all the comments about the health of fish from Aqua Huna: I have only made one order but I would happily order from them again. I ordered some HiFin Paleatus Corys from them and they appeared to be super healthy, and actually have spawned for me multiple times already - I've got about 40 of their fry growing out as we speak. 

Unfortunately I live about 2.5 hours away from the event! And with how crazy life is rn I don't think I can make it but ill keep an eye on it in the future. Thanks so much for the recommendation, good to know there are at least hobbyists on the other ends of the state haha.