Static cling black film on acrylic tank?

Brett

HI All!

I want to use static cling black out like this on my acrylic aquarium, but it's definitely designed for glass. Some googling gave me answers that said it would be fine, that said it wouldn't stick well, and that it would permanently bond to the acrylic. Has anyone here tried this on an acrylic tank? I don't want to paint it, and I've never been super happy with the old-school black plastic that has to be taped on. 

Thanks for your help!

This is the brand / style that I have. I use it on glass tanks and it works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/VELIMAX-Blackout-Darkening-Removable-Blocking/dp/B07Q29NBH7

If you're using acrylic I would guess that acrylic is an option as well as spraypaint.  I would do a bit of research on how those interact with the material over time... something like acrylic isn't as "sealed" as something like lexan.  You might be better off tracking down a lexan sheet or some black sheet and just using acrylic glue to bond it to the back.  Not ideal, but I would think you can bond acrylic sheet to it.   There's got to be some nice solutions that people have come up with.

Thanks nabokovfan87. I actually just ordered a very similar product. I think the most likely scenario (other than it working like a charm) is that it falls off in a few days. If that's the case, I'll just go the old-school plastic tape-on sheet and call it good. I really don't want to paint or glue to the tank, as that's much more permanent. And I found basically zero info on how any of these react with acrylic, so I'm just going to be the experiment. I'll try to remember to update when I'm done so y'all know what I learn!

On 2/6/2023 at 1:10 PM, Brett said:

Thanks nabokovfan87. I actually just ordered a very similar product. I think the most likely scenario (other than it working like a charm) is that it falls off in a few days. If that's the case, I'll just go the old-school plastic tape-on sheet and call it good. I really don't want to paint or glue to the tank, as that's much more permanent. And I found basically zero info on how any of these react with acrylic, so I'm just going to be the experiment. I'll try to remember to update when I'm done so y'all know what I learn!

Don't do what I did that one time and leave the grid on the inside.  If it doesn't stick, wet it down a lot, then re-apply and hopefully it clings.  Might be a static issue, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.  Clean the acrylic well, apply, should work!

this is from personal experience,

if u paint or use the static type background and you are using a HOB filter, do not move the filter once u have it level, ive had that darn, plastic level twist knob scratch a 2 inch horizontal bare spot into the wrap, (easy to fix though just use a sharpie marker)  I got my last background from amazon for less than $20- depends on size, keep a spray bottle and sharp razor near by, just did a 20L a few months ago, i have had no issues on a old aqueon acrylic tank so it should be simple the water in spray bottle was best way i found

Good luck

• Love 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Or order static cling meant for acrylic 

Not sure why I blocked this out, my apologies.  I would second this option.  Paint is a hassle and permanent to the tank. Using a secondary sheet or one meant for acrylic is the way I would do it!

On 2/6/2023 at 8:10 PM, glenn anthony said:

do not move the filter once u have it level, ive had that darn, plastic level twist knob scratch a 2 inch horizontal bare spot into the wrap,

This is why I stopped painting tanks with acrylic paint.  Spraypaint might not wear off, but I would have a really nice paintjob and then go to clean the HoB and have circles all over the back.  This is 100% why I love the tidals using a rubber grommet on theirs, but even that pulled paint off if I wasn't careful.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Don't do what I did that one time and leave the grid on the inside.  If it doesn't stick, wet it down a lot, then re-apply and hopefully it clings.  Might be a static issue, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.  Clean the acrylic well, apply, should work!

HA! Thanks for that tip. I've applied it, and am waiting to see what happens. Some folks have said that part of the problem is it continues to off-gas, creating bubbles between it and the tank. But I don't know why that might be a problem with acrylic and not glass.

Honestly since I've moved and setting things back up from scratch I really really thought about just going back old school with some scotch tape and just a black background lol! Just easier to deal with, swap out or if the glass gets scratched etc. would make things much easier just obviously not quite as nice aesthetically.