Neocaridina Shrimp Breeding

NanotankBank

So obviously everyone has a different opinions, but how many shrimp do you think could fit in roughly a 4-5gal heavily planted aquarium? Also, I understand mixing two different kinds of shrimp can result in brown shrimp, but has anyone had any success breeding cherry and Blue Dream shrimp? Like a mixture of the colors as a result? If so, I very much want to try it, and any brown shrimp I end up with can go in my community tank and act as cleaners, or treats for my ole Angel of a fish. Let me know! Thanks 

2E657167-201F-47E1-A264-0DE4E2C2C7B0.jpeg

• Love 1

I have a 5g shrimp tank and sometimes it seems like there are hundreds in there. They're everywhere! I think it was @Odd Duck who told me as long as you don't have more shrimp than water, you're fine. No need to worry. 

As for mixing colors, I started with a few cherry, blue dream, orange and yellow culls from a local breeder. I did end up with some brown and clear shrimp but I've also ended up with some very cool colors and mixes, so you're not guaranteed to only have brown. @Guppysnail has had a similar experience. 

And yes! Show us a photo of your setup. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:42 PM, Theplatymaster said:

can you post a picture of the 4-5gallon tank? Nice planted tank though, what size is it? 37gallon?

29gal. Ole Angel is growing too big, will be moving him to another tank soon. This picture is after I rescaped it. Tannins making the water yellow. 

3737AC50-CC25-463B-A2C0-2C612860139E.jpeg

• Like 1

You asked how many.  The answer is "a lot."  I took somewhere around 70 out of the 5.5 gallon no filter tank on my desk at work yesterday.  Looking at the activity this morning I can't really see a difference.

This tank started out with all blue shrimp.  I keep colors separate in my tanks at home, but this tank has black substrate, and the blue shrimp were difficult to see, so I added a handful of red ones.  They turned brown pretty quick.  I have since added a few yellow shrimp.  I suspect subsequent generations will still be brown.

• Like 1

Throw 10 shrimp in there and you will probably have hundreds within a short period of time.  If you mix the colors you'll get some mix.  Mine seem to turn clear/clear with some color when mixed, which is fine by me.  Maybe they turn clear and then brown over time?  Don't know.  

I would probably suggest just doing one color, at least to start.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:19 AM, JettsPapa said:

You asked how many.  The answer is "a lot."  I took somewhere around 70 out of the 5.5 gallon no filter tank on my desk at work yesterday.  Looking at the activity this morning I can't really see a difference.

This tank started out with all blue shrimp.  I keep colors separate in my tanks at home, but this tank has black substrate, and the blue shrimp were difficult to see, so I added a handful of red ones.  They turned brown pretty quick.  I have since added a few yellow shrimp.  I suspect subsequent generations will still be brown.

Just curious, do you run an airstone in that?