Aquashella 2023

Odd Duck

I had a wonderful time at AquaShella 2021.  I bought plants, Bettas and a couple of products.  It was Halloween costume themed. They held my fish for me and when I was ready to leave, they helped me to my car.  Quite fun!

20211030_133745.jpg

20211031_121930.jpg

Edited by Flipper
added pic
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, NOLANANO said:

I've always been curious and I would think that the answer is yes but do the vendors ship live fish from the event? Like can I go, see a pair of Apistos I like and buy them? Or is it more of a Hardware and idea expose?

There were fish to be purchased there but I don’t know if any would ship as I didn’t ask.  I live local so I just took them home with me.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:58 PM, Flipper said:

I had a wonderful time at AquaShella 2021.  I bought plants, Bettas and a couple of products.  It was Halloween costume themed. They held my fish for me and when I was ready to leave, they helped me to my car.  Quite fun!

20211030_133745.jpg

20211031_121930.jpg

These are the gorgeous female Bettas that I bought at AquaShella.  Betta sorority did not work out, so I kept one and rehomed the rest.  I don't suggest trying a sorority.  It broke my heart that they just couldn't get along.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Flipper said:

These are the gorgeous female Bettas that I bought at AquaShella.  Betta sorority did not work out, so I kept one and rehomed the rest.  I don't suggest trying a sorority.  It broke my heart that they just couldn't get along.

It takes a much bigger tank than most recommend to have a sorority really work out.  Plus absolutely loads of plants for sight line breaks.  I’ve not had a sorority since my single betta clutch I raised way back in the day, around ‘98 or thereabouts.  I sold them before they really got old enough to start bickering much.  I wouldn’t even try in less than a 55 G or bigger.  I’d have at least 6-7 and have them in a busy community tank making sure nothing else was betta shaped or colored (or too slow) for the distraction effect.  Even then you have to have an eagle eye for anybody getting targeted excessively.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:47 PM, Odd Duck said:

It takes a much bigger tank than most recommend to have a sorority really work out.  Plus absolutely loads of plants for sight line breaks.  I’ve not had a sorority since my single betta clutch I raised way back in the day, around ‘98 or thereabouts.  I sold them before they really got old enough to start bickering much.  I wouldn’t even try in less than a 55 G or bigger.  I’d have at least 6-7 and have them in a busy community tank making sure nothing else was betta shaped or colored (or too slow) for the distraction effect.  Even then you have to have an eagle eye for anybody getting targeted excessively.

Yes, I had them in a 20 gallon with not enough plants.  I won't try it again because I don't have the space for bigger tanks, at least not now.  Thanks for your reply.  I've had to learn everything the hard way!  I guess many people do.  I still have trouble growing plants (I don't do Co2) and I have trouble with my Bettas getting fin rot.  That's why I'm here.... to learn from you guys. 

• Like 2

Bettas with fin rot is so very problematic.  Especially those with longer fins.  They are so very prone to injuries because they do goofy betta things and try to wedge themselves into or through spaces where they don’t belong.  And those very long fins just don’t heal very well.  Light salt dose (1 tablespoon aquarium salt per 10 gallons), Indian Almond Leaves (IAL) at least 2 small or 1 large leaf per gallon or make tea from them and add it until the water is fairly deeply tinted.  Some will heal with this treatment alone along with pristine water - zero ammonia, nitrites, low nitrates 5-10 range.  And enough circulation - not blowing the betta around but not stagnant either, at least one airstone.  Plenty of soft rests close to the water’s surface.  And heat at least at 78-80.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:00 PM, Odd Duck said:

Bettas with fin rot is so very problematic.  Especially those with longer fins.  They are so very prone to injuries because they do goofy betta things and try to wedge themselves into or through spaces where they don’t belong.  And those very long fins just don’t heal very well.  Light salt dose (1 tablespoon aquarium salt per 10 gallons), Indian Almond Leaves (IAL) at least 2 small or 1 large leaf per gallon or make tea from them and add it until the water is fairly deeply tinted.  Some will heal with this treatment alone along with pristine water - zero ammonia, nitrites, low nitrates 5-10 range.  And enough circulation - not blowing the betta around but not stagnant either, at least one airstone.  Plenty of soft rests close to the water’s surface.  And heat at least at 78-80.

I'm doing some of that; I have the right temp, resting places, good filter, replace 20-25% water every week.  I'll get the Indian Almond leaves.  I don't really have a resting place close to the surface (good idea).  My nitrAtes are 15 to 20.  Maybe I should work on getting that down.  I may reduce food a little.  I notice when I stir sustrate LOTS of debris will float up. Vacuuming doesn't seem to do much for some reason.  Can I still use the salt with my plants?  Thanks for your advice.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, Flipper said:

I'm doing some of that; I have the right temp, resting places, good filter, replace 20-25% water every week.  I'll get the Indian Almond leaves.  I don't really have a resting place close to the surface (good idea).  My nitrAtes are 15 to 20.  Maybe I should work on getting that down.  I may reduce food a little.  I notice when I stir sustrate LOTS of debris will float up. Vacuuming doesn't seem to do much for some reason.  Can I still use the salt with my plants?  Thanks for your advice.

Low dose salt like that is safe for everything but the most sensitive plants.  Low flow filters like used for bettas won’t pick up much debris, so you can end up with more mulm.  What type of substrate do you have?  Do you have any driftwood in the tank and if so what kind?  Wood can really increase your mulm.  It’s good for plecos, but can add lots of organics to the water.  Just need to be careful and possibly do larger or more frequent water changes if fish aren’t doing as well as you would like.

I would do a larger water change than normal, 50%, to get your nitrates down.  Vacuum more as you do the water change and see if you can get out a bit more of the mulm.  Generally I don’t worry much about mulm in planted tanks but if the betta has some fin rot then I would recommend you try to reduce it mostly to help reduce nitrates.  Good idea on feeding a bit less since that will also help reduce mulm/nitrates.  Your plants will be fine with slightly reduced nitrates for several weeks, at least, possibly a few months depending on what plants you have.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 5:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

Low dose salt like that is safe for everything but the most sensitive plants.  Low flow filters like used for bettas won’t pick up much debris, so you can end up with more mulm.  What type of substrate do you have?  Do you have any driftwood in the tank and if so what kind?  Wood can really increase your mulm.  It’s good for plecos, but can add lots of organics to the water.  Just need to be careful and possibly do larger or more frequent water changes if fish aren’t doing as well as you would like.

I would do a larger water change than normal, 50%, to get your nitrates down.  Vacuum more as you do the water change and see if you can get out a bit more of the mulm.  Generally I don’t worry much about mulm in planted tanks but if the betta has some fin rot then I would recommend you try to reduce it mostly to help reduce nitrates.  Good idea on feeding a bit less since that will also help reduce mulm/nitrates.  Your plants will be fine with slightly reduced nitrates for several weeks, at least, possibly a few months depending on what plants you have.

Thanks SO much for the tips.  My substrate is CaribSea Eco-Complete Red.  I never know if the red stuff on the bottom is fish food, fish poop or just particles of the red substrate.  I only feed a little at a time to make sure they ate that before giving a little more food.  My driftwood is Malaysian (I think) and spiderwood. 

I have an idea; tell me what you think!  I'm currently cycling an 8 gallon with the black Eco-complete (which is totally different from the red type).  My Betta seems happy in her community tank, but who knows if she feels stressed from the fast swimming tank mates.  And she really has to fight for her food because she's slow and a little blind. 

Should I move her to the new tank and give her a home to herself?  I so want to get her fins back in good shape.  First she got beat up when I tried the Betta sorority (Oct 2021 for 2 weeks).  She healed up nicely but recently got fin rot.  Even though I look at my fish very often, fin rot will progress unnoticed until one day I go OMG, look at those fins.  Blue went through 2 rounds of Kanaplex and seems to be better although not quite her energetic self.

Maybe I should not put driftwood in the new 8 gallon and just stick with rocks and Anubias.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!  Thanks 😊 20230324_153226.jpg.c8c7e19426e7aa6ee7ac54b87ea2fbc6.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 12:27 PM, Flipper said:

Thanks SO much for the tips.  My substrate is CaribSea Eco-Complete Red.  I never know if the red stuff on the bottom is fish food, fish poop or just particles of the red substrate.  I only feed a little at a time to make sure they ate that before giving a little more food.  My driftwood is Malaysian (I think) and spiderwood. 

I have an idea; tell me what you think!  I'm currently cycling an 8 gallon with the black Eco-complete (which is totally different from the red type).  My Betta seems happy in her community tank, but who knows if she feels stressed from the fast swimming tank mates.  And she really has to fight for her food because she's slow and a little blind. 

Should I move her to the new tank and give her a home to herself?  I so want to get her fins back in good shape.  First she got beat up when I tried the Betta sorority (Oct 2021 for 2 weeks).  She healed up nicely but recently got fin rot.  Even though I look at my fish very often, fin rot will progress unnoticed until one day I go OMG, look at those fins.  Blue went through 2 rounds of Kanaplex and seems to be better although not quite her energetic self.

Maybe I should not put driftwood in the new 8 gallon and just stick with rocks and Anubias.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!  Thanks 😊 20230324_153226.jpg.c8c7e19426e7aa6ee7ac54b87ea2fbc6.jpg

I've had 2 other Bettas in the past.  Each lived alone in a 10 gallon.  They lived 1 year and 1 1/2 years.  My nitrAtes have always been 15 to 20.  Could nitrAtes have been the problem all along?  I thought under 20 was safe.

Under 20 is normally completely safe but when trying to regrow fins I recommend a bit lower to maximize the chance of full regrowth.  I would try the betta by herself in a smaller tank and see if she sorts out and finishes healing.  After that, you might be able to give her some gentle companions but some of the frenetic swimmers seem to annoy and stress some bettas.  You want fish that are fast swimmers so the betta doesn’t nip them, but not necessarily frenetic if that makes sense.  For instance, not zebra danios, but small, less frantic fish are usually OK - like Kubotai rasboras, ember tetras, possibly chili rasboras or other micro rasboras if your betta is placid enough but they might be pushing the size limit of prey, because, well, . . . . . . bettas.

Harlequins can sometimes be a bit frenetic as a group, and they really like a current stream that they can dodge in and out of.  They love swimming “upstream” against a narrow flow.  My very first tank had a very narrow tube that brought the water back into the tank from the HOB filter (these filters were old and well used when I got them back in 1975) and the harlequins were often doing zoomies “upstream” for apparently pure entertainment.  If your group of harlequins doesn’t do that, then they were likely a non-issue, but if they’re a group that gets the zoomies, then the stress can reduce healing or trigger fin-nipping in bettas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, Odd Duck said:

Anybody at Aquashella Dallas yet?

This is my experience 🙂

For anyone who is curious or was unable to make the trip they are streaming live some of the scape challenges as well as some of the talks from speakers.  (someone needs to help out and fix the mic buzz for them, I swear it's been going on for years at this point)

On 5/20/2023 at 3:37 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is my experience 🙂

For anyone who is curious or was unable to make the trip they are streaming live some of the scape challenges as well as some of the talks from speakers.  (someone needs to help out and fix the mic buzz for them, I swear it's been going on for years at this point)

@nabokovfan87  Wow, thanks for the links.  I SO wanted to go this year.

• Thanks 1