Help me plan a rescape?

Katherine

I have recently gotten a new coop light, a new piece of hardscape, and some new plants and it's time to redecorate! I'm not very good at this and could use some guidance and suggestions. I do not have another tank to move things into if they don't make the cut here.

Here's the current tank configuration.

wholetank.jpg.d5406133b7525372c9679fa855aa74a4.jpg

Current hardscape closeups.

algaemountain.jpg.72bc986731a0d8222ddfc1a7d5429e3d.jpg

log.jpg.ddbbbb5e2362d828d393a84836f791f0.jpg

anubiascave.jpg.3d59e06c4b05a056f8fdefac75866100.jpg

Most of the anubias is at least party attached to this cave. Some of it is completely attached to the cave, so I'd really like to keep this piece in there.

The new hardscape, which I'd like to get in the tank. Coop easy green bottle for scale.

hobbithome2.jpg.df30f9491d158998920050c896a5cba9.jpg

The plants are:

1 Rose sword, which get up to 16 inches tall.

2 pots of crypt wendtii green (these have not been unpotted yet, so I'm not sure how much spreading out can happen)

1 pot of crypt wendtii bronze (this has not been unpotted yet, so I'm not sure how much spreading out can happen)

1 bunch of crypt spiralis (looks like 6ish plants, already close to the height of the tank)

6ish valisneria plants, not yet half the height of the tank

1 small stem of pogostemon stelatus octopus 

3 (?) short water sprite plants

maybe 6 crypt lucens

the anubias from around the cave - maybe 4 different plants, 1 of which could be moved very easily, another of which could be cut to put pieces elsewhere

roughly a handful of subwassertang

a small crinum calamistratum

3 moss balls

1 mystery sword plant which is about the height of a small coop sponge filter and hasn't gotten any larger in the 3 years I've had it.

I'm thinking maybe keeping the large 'rock' formation in the same place, with either the val or the spiralis in the back corner. Then the hobbit house in front of the right sponge filter with either the rose sword or the spiralis behind it... The lucens in sort of a patch together somewhere in the front-ish. I don't know. This is not my strong suit. The log is the hardscape I'm least attached to. I'm not even really sure where to start with planning this.

Other probably relevant info I forgot...

The tank is 75 gallons and the light is slightly further to the back of the tank because of where the lid hinge is. So lower light things should either be shaded or to the front.

• Like 1

Plants and all that, location of those aside this is where I would start....

A.  What does that wood look like in the tank in terms of other rotations of that piece? (marked in purple in this image).
B.  I would move the filters inward 1/3 of the tank just to improve flow (red arrow), and move the heater to the center to improve circulation of the heat (blue arrow).  Black background would help to hide that if that's an eyesore.
C.  I would remove that anubias, sort of figure out where to put / rotate the wood.  Can always reattach it later, but that's just so you can see what's going on and potentially try to locate that piece of hardscape in a way it's more vertical if that makes sense for an orientation.

image.png.a74bff521281e4d84179d88468ba0cb4.png

The hobbit house would go right where that pink arrow is on the substrate in front as a feature to pull your eye in.  Middle of the tank would be open a little bit more or as a place for plants to carpet and accent the "front lawn" of the house.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

A.  What does that wood look like in the tank in terms of other rotations of that piece? (marked in purple in this image)

This is a fake piece from petsmart. Not really possible to do vertical.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-gravel-and-substrate/ornaments/top-fin-brown-wood-cave-aquarium-ornament-38213.html?cgid=300105&fmethod=Browse

and move the heater to the center to improve circulation of heat

There are 2 heaters. How does that change your placement advice?

I would remove that anubias, sort of figure out where to put / rotate the wood.  Can always reattach it later, but that's just so you can see what's going on and potentially try to locate that piece of hardscape

The attached bits have been on this piece for over 3 years. Is it possible to remove at that point without damaging the plant?

On 1/21/2023 at 3:38 PM, Katherine said:

I have a piece like that! You'd be surprised 🙂 

It's meant to be a bottom piece, sort of has a C shape like it's a cave.  I lean it up against other pieces to try to give it just a little more room underneath.  Is there a way that looks like to you visually leaning it on top of that log?

On 1/21/2023 at 3:38 PM, Katherine said:

The attached bits have been on this piece for over 3 years. Is it possible to remove at that point without damaging the plant?

Leave them attached, There is a way to remove it without damaging the plant, for sure. Given what you said about it above, no need to do so.  It won't harm or impact the anubias to move it slightly or gently lift it up.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, Katherine said:

20230121_175927.jpg.d6a8d8b2a1b1bd8f9a002eb52bf95640.jpg

difficult to tell the orientation of the log, having that "cave" or hole on the substrate might be a better option.  To give you an idea on the piece of wood I have with this shape, I can lay it a variety of ways, but right now its:20230121_162735.jpg.d6ba0993e7c7443019973a7bccc793cc.jpg
20230121_162739.jpg.cab0fd46bcbe38f073a71bac312a9762.jpg

This was an older position I had it in.  Similar to what I think yours might work in.

20230103_113441.JPG.f6e7c8f8fe21747b5502b424421e6cf6.JPG

I've also had it with the short end up, leaning against a surface and that other longer "C" shape gives a hide for the fish on the substrate.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, Katherine said:

I'm thinking maybe the crypt spiralis there since it's tall already.

I don't know my aquatic plants well yet, but I'm guessing that's the tall plant in the left corner on the first photo - I agree, that would be perfect! And then maybe create a forest of stem plants around the big rock formation & the hobbit house piece?

On 1/21/2023 at 7:39 PM, CJhilljack said:

I don't know my aquatic plants well yet, but I'm guessing that's the tall plant in the left corner on the first photo - I agree, that would be perfect! And then maybe create a forest of stem plants around the big rock formation & the hobbit house piece?

It actually wasn't in the first photo. I just bought it today and that photo was taken yesterday. That was a floating pot of crypt wendtii.

This is the crypt spiralis.

spiralis.jpg.87f69e1889fbacbd893cf42f1cab6bfd.jpg

I like a triangle style scape, and it looks like you have enough pieces to do something like this pic. Your hardscape would start high on the left and taper down to the right. The hobbit house could go on the right in the negative space.  

I poached this pic from a random site:

546F7B9A-6E04-40A6-8C09-C8E33CCD3476.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, CJhilljack said:

Looks like you have a great plan. That Crypt Spiralis is pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the finished rescape!

I've got my hands wet right now working on it. Taking a tiny break to let the mulm settle back down so I can see. 

• Like 1

It looks like a very good start.  If that configuration doesn't work for you I would suggest raising the substrate on the right side of the aquarium and arranging the logs in an inverted V formation /  \ pointed at the filter. with enough space between them to nestle and partially bury the back of the Hobbit House  The extra Anubis can be planted in front of, or on the left hand log, or on the hillside created.  This will add additional vertical interest and help hide the mechanicals.

The only issue I think you might have is  with 10,11,12.  I realize that your sketch isn't to scale, but that area could become very congested.

Looking forward to pictures.

• Like 1

The water is still clearing up, but here's an initial photo. I still need to put root tabs in, but I'll do that tomorrow. I've bugged the fish enough for today.

1850535368_20230122_1630592.jpg.8873be19bcc79f5c1ad9631af1895c60.jpg

And they seem to like the area with the spiralis behind the cave.

20230122_163119.jpg.43d23b666d0d0612275c21ce5c98c525.jpg

I ended up turning the rock stack around and adjusting angles on all the other decor.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:25 PM, Tanked said:

The only issue I think you might have is  with 10,11,12.  I realize that your sketch isn't to scale, but that area could become very congested.

So far my PSO and water sprite have not done tremendously well, though the new light does seem to be helping. I may end up ditching one of those or letting the water sprite just float. I'm not sure yet.

I also ended up getting rid of the moss balls, as they were not in great shape and I'm kind of over them.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:16 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I like this! It looks like it has more depth, from front to back, the way the hardscape is now behind the hobbit house. 

I agree. It looks much further behind it than it actually is. They're touching at the base. I have to credit @nabokovfan87 for that. I never would have come up with this placement on my own.

• Like 2

Lol, in the time I typed this, two replies were posted. I am referring to your tank with the hobbit house. It looks like you've applied the Golden Ratio of design for your scape. My eye was immediately drawn to the middle of your tank with the tree and rock section on the left. Your plants and rocks nicely fill up the bottom section of the tank. I love the negative space on top, makes the fish shine. If you keep this scape, I would recommend you get some more fish to fill in that negative space. Some corydoras would look great at the bottom. Nice work! Here is a picture of the grid for the Golden Ratio. 

hrzvUBq_sIDJpQYYZA2MMdkcB1RRiUCiDD9ONG5LKfAwRBRHspURxnPg_GgdiL_dbEdv1Jf3WpbzO1gpenyOmcbwnoxsTtPIs0jtyu9WerKhoOaA03itR0CfHeGQGO316BZCBWn1ez8BdZG6WUG3WEk4b-xZniuZ8KoUFgAajBT54BJuLrCbRDaFkuXcPQ

Edited by JJenna
  • Like 1

I just want to stick my hands in the tank and move things around!!!! 😂

Grace (the shark) is definitely annoyed on move crap around day but she likes the change.

Hopefully you'll sort out plant placement.   I tend to remove everything and replant it all where it feels right. Maybe that's an approach here? Let you better see the hardscape / decor and place it where you want. 

I only say that in some instance where you are placing things to avoid a certain well rooted plant or something.

Have you seen the other hobbit house scape tank? It's pretty epic.....

She's currently working on a series in a bigger tank with a fangorn forest scene.

• Like 2