Just wanna show off my ramshorn snail

Cinnebuns

I've had a bunch of different colors but I always wanted to try for the pretty blue I've seen in pictures. I partially didn't believe it was real and maybe photo shopped. All my blues were dark and almost black. I was selective breeding for awhile and got a lot like purple and multi colored and such. I decided to stop selective breeding. I had a tank where some random ones from a multi colored colony got into. I noticed it started producing the blue I was looking for!!  I guess to get what you want sometimes you have to stop trying haha. 

20230116_090551.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 15

On 1/17/2023 at 9:14 PM, Anjum said:

So cool! 

Btw, I saw your post on the FB group & wondered if that was you! Not too many people breeding for ramshorn colors.. 

Yeah!  I've been curious how many people on the forums post on the fb group too!  I also realized we have different names there and here so it's hard to tell haha

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:24 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

Yesterday I was looking at an array of my snails and I tell ya, they are one of my favorite facets of the aquarium. They always seem to be doing something different depending on the species. 

I agree!  When I started with aquariums I said "no snails!" then I got "the gateway snail" a nerite because they are great for algae. Now i can't stop myself!

• Like 1

Blue snails!  What a wonderful shade of blue.   I also love snails, although I've so far stuck with Mystery Snails.  Since they lay eggs in a bunch I figured it is easy to control the population.  Good theory.  In practice I haven't brought myself to remove any clusters.  Oh well.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:21 PM, Brainsponge said:

Do you think these would these out compete pest snails for food? I'd love to have these instead of the pest snails. 

These technically are pest snails. They probably would if you also did manual removal of the other snail but not alone. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:26 AM, reefhugger said:

Blue snails!  What a wonderful shade of blue.   I also love snails, although I've so far stuck with Mystery Snails.  Since they lay eggs in a bunch I figured it is easy to control the population.  Good theory.  In practice I haven't brought myself to remove any clusters.  Oh well.

Me too!!😂

On 1/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, Cinnebuns said:

These technically are pest snails. They probably would if you also did manual removal of the other snail but not alone. 

Those pest snails are way more interesting, visually, than my small brown ones. I like the snails, in moderation, for all of there benefits with my plants but the make rabbits look modest. Thanks for the info