Fish stuck in course filter sponge

dangerflower

I just moved a group of chilli rasboras out of quarentine and into my 20 gallon today. A few hours later I was checking on them and noticed that one of them was stuck in one of the sponge filters. I use ACO course sponge filters. The poor little guy had wedged his head in there and gotten stuck in a little loop of plastic around his head. I tried to cut him free but I wasn't able to, and he didn't make it. 😞 Now I'm really worried that more of them are going to meet the same fate, and I'm wondering if I'm going to need to switch to fine sponges. I was running a coarse sponge in the quarantine tank without issue. Was this just a freak accident? Has anyone ever had this happen with a course sponge filter and tiny fish?

I run small ACO sponge filters in my tiny 2.5 gallon hatch and grow out tanks for fry and have never seen it. Doesn’t mean it has never happened, simply means I haven’t personally seen it with my eyes. 

If this happened to me, I would chalk it up to my inherited bad luck and consider it a freak accident. If it happened again then I would probably feel differently. 

• Like 1

It's definitely a freak accident.  There are sponge filters that have finer ppi sponge, entirely up to you if you feel it's a concern moving forward given the size of those fish in particular.  Potentially, review how much air you're pulling and dial it back a bit to decrease flow.  I don't think flow sucked that fish in, but that is just something to note if you're pulling a ton of water in a small tank with tiny fish.

Another way to view it and probably why I haven't seen this, even with very small fry in the tank.... I tend to just always run big sponge filters.  If you're pulling a lot of air and the thickness of the sponge isn't big enough, you can have an easier time to pull the fish into that central point.  (as size goes up, the sponge is thicker)

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I've never seen this specifically with the ACO filter but with similar sponge-like material. It has happened both to a guppy fry and a cory fry. I will say though that I continued to use that product and only saw it the 2 times out of the hundreds of fry I raised next to it. I'm not saying that it won't happen again, but I think maybe there's some Darwin involved in this one. 

There's another factor to consider. The product I was talking about was not a filter but this is. A filter sucks water in. This means its entirely possible, and I would argue more likely, that the fish was sick before it got stuck. Too weak to swim it got sucked in my a current which actually isn't very strong. There's a reason sponge filters are popular for fry and shrimp. 

• Like 3

I haven't read the whole thread, but I recommend putting a knee high nylon stocking over your course sponges for a while.

Having read the thread, it looks like a a 1 in a million chance it would happen again, but you will sleep better if you put the stocking over the filter and know it can not happen again. The fish will be bigger by the time the stocking needs cleaning and you can remove it at that point, or clean it and put it back if you feel better knowing it is there.

Edited by KittenFishMom
added second paragraph
  • Like 3

On 1/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, Gannon said:

Didn't even know this was possible. Fear unlocked. 

My thoughts exactly 😱😱

Thanks for the replies, everyone! No more chillies have gotten stuck so far so hopefully this was just a freak incident. The nylon stocking idea is really smart!