Whats a good co2 canister?

Gannon

I'm getting into using co2 and while i've been told just about any co2 canister will do, I'm a bit anxious about the whole thing and want to make sure what I'm getting is the right thing. What have you all liked using with your aquarium coop regulators?

On 1/14/2023 at 8:31 PM, Pepere said:

Many co2 refill companies offer to either refill your tank with a week or so wait, or do a tank exchange where you bring in  your empty and walkout the door with a full tank.

Also every few years tanks need to be hydrostatically tested.  With a tank exchange option you need not worry about this..

with my local shop, you walk in and purchase a tank that is full.  Tank cost was pretty much the same as buying one elsewhere.

when I need a refill I will walk in, walkout with another filled tank.

If I owned my own special tank and wanted the same one filled, the fill cost would be the same.

It is a clunky looking steel tank, but it is more convenient….

thanks!

I went to a local welding shop with my regulator in hand.  The owner couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.  He showed and explained the entire hookup process for me as I was a bit nervous about any compressed gas.  Anyway, I left with a shiny CO2 tank, knowledge on how to hook it up, and knowing to just bring it back when empty for another tank.  No worries about refills.   The tank itself is shiny and nice, even though it winds up  out of view. 

I did initially purchase the regulator form the Co-op, but it leaked.  The customer service being profoundly excellent refunded my money after viewing a video.  I chose to purchase another elsewhere and its running flawlessly.

• Like 1

From an economical sense welding shops, brewers and similar are the most cost effective. I use our local welding shop; they charge around $100 for 5lb, 10lb or 20lb canister; refill is around $20 and they guarantee the canister itself basically for life. You can either wait for them to refill it (usually 10min) or exchange it. I use co2art regulators and when i researched them they were the most reliable at a given cost point (i use the cheap one). No clue about the coop regulator (if they have one) but generally you want two stage regulator to prevent co2 dumps at the end and one with at least a 3 year warranty. GLA has quality regulator but they are expensive. Some folks like milwaukee regulator (very inexpensive) but only single stage... 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 4:39 AM, reefhugger said:

I went to a local welding shop with my regulator in hand.  The owner couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.  He showed and explained the entire hookup process for me as I was a bit nervous about any compressed gas.  Anyway, I left with a shiny CO2 tank, knowledge on how to hook it up, and knowing to just bring it back when empty for another tank.  No worries about refills.   The tank itself is shiny and nice, even though it winds up  out of view. 

I did initially purchase the regulator form the Co-op, but it leaked.  The customer service being profoundly excellent refunded my money after viewing a video.  I chose to purchase another elsewhere and its running flawlessly.

This is great thank you!