Neon tetras with my betta

Dandroid

Hi all.

I currently have 6 neon tetras living with my betta in a 10 gallon tank. I just noticed that my betta's fins have been torn up a bit. My question is should I add to the school to hopefully curb the fin nipping behavior or just move them to another tank?

Thanks

The size of the tank may be a contributing factor. I’ve got 22 Neon Tetras in a heavily planted 75 with 10 Albino Cory and 2 Pleco. The Neons do get nippy sometimes toward each other. In a small tank with a long fin Betta it may be too tempting for them to ignore. Many of the Tetra species are not as peaceful as you would think when around frilly finned tank-mates. It’s a pecking order and the Betta may be last against faster nippy fish.

Your best option is likely to separate them. 

I would just move them. Neon tetras are known for nipping betta's fins. If you want another tank mate for him, consider endlers. I have seven of them in my betta tank and they school together, but don't bother my betta. They even clean the algae off my tank decor which surprised me to learn. A pleasant surprise though.