Does any fishkeeper also keep birds?

kevincanada

here is a short  video of my birds in my aviary. i am wondering if other fishkeepers also keep birds or other animals in addition to their fish passion? i cant seem to choose between so i do both hobbies. enjoy, cheers.

birds.jpg

Edited by kevincanada
better link to video
  • Love 2

I’ve had a severe macaw since 1983, he was likely somewhere between 6-10 years old when I got him.  He still had a Florida International import band on when I got him.  He was most likely to have been imported as an adult (or juvenile) back when it was still legal (CITES went into place in 1985).  His previous owners had him for 4 years and they worked next door and watched him in the pet store for 1 year before they got him.  He is presumed to have been young enough and naive enough to get caught to be imported.

I also have a female pied cockatiel that I rescued about 1.5 years ago.  She came in to my work after being attacked by a dog in the household.  Owners didn’t even have money for meds and agreed to relinquish her so she could get care.  I certainly didn’t need another bird, but I couldn’t let her die from what were relatively minor injuries.  She evidentially got some bruising to her beak when she was injured since now her upper beak gets overgrown and needs regular trimming.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 12:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I used to keep Zebra Finches -and though messy- really miss the little buggers. 

I’ve had zebras and raised a couple clutches of finches.  When tiny, the babies have the weirdest little tongues!  Like a tiny, four petaled flower!

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Love 1

@Odd DuckI had a male and female, and this was pre-internet so I didn't know to move the male out. He killed a couple of babies which made me very sad but I thought it was that they were born dead or were "defective" as nature sometimes has parents remove them. However, I eventually did learn he had to be moved out. So for a long while I just removed eggs when I saw them. I did manage 1 baby though eventually and she lived with her parents after she got big. 

They were little alien looking babies but still cute. 

On 1/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Odd DuckI had a male and female, and this was pre-internet so I didn't know to move the male out. He killed a couple of babies which made me very sad but I thought it was that they were born dead or were "defective" as nature sometimes has parents remove them. However, I eventually did learn he had to be moved out. So for a long while I just removed eggs when I saw them. I did manage 1 baby though eventually and she lived with her parents after she got big. 

They were little alien looking babies but still cute. 

Some males are fine.  I never had to take my primary male out, fortunately.  But some will certainly kill babies.  They raised 2 clutches of 4 each for me before I started removing eggs, then finally rehomed the parents to someone with a nice little aviary.

• Love 1

Hi @SuzanM! Welcome to the forum. Takes a bit to learn how to navigate how to communicate here. This is where your bird post should be so I'll put it here. If you scroll down on a thread you will see a place to reply. If you want to get someone in particular's attention, type the @ sign then type out the screen name as I did for you at the beginning of this post. :-) I will also help you with your other post

From @SuzanM for this post: 

Yes.  we have 4 budgies. we had eggs several years ago and 4 hatched and grew to beautiful birds. a professor at our local college took them.  Had no issues raising them both parents were very good."

Pretty cool responses thank you. in case you're interested I have about 50 cockatiels 40 budgies 40 diamond doves 35 canaries some grass parakeets 6 peacock six Pomeranian Saddleback geese and about 30 bantam chickens plus eight rabbits and then my fish room. Needless to say I keep very busy. Cheers 

• Love 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:46 PM, kevincanada said:

Pretty cool responses thank you. in case you're interested I have about 50 cockatiels 40 budgies 40 diamond doves 35 canaries some grass parakeets 6 peacock six Pomeranian Saddleback geese and about 30 bantam chickens plus eight rabbits and then my fish room. Needless to say I keep very busy. Cheers 

🎶And a partridge in a pear tree 🎶