CO2 Kit for Nano Tank - Suggestions

Hey everyone. I'm looking to get into CO2 starting with my 12 gallon long planted tank, but I don't have the cash to shell out for a full size system. I'm looking for recommendations for a mid-level system that's under $100 total. I want something that's higher quality than the old fashioned DIY yeast setup, but I don't want to invest in the Co-op regulator and a large tank for such a small tank (for now, at least). I've seen paintball canister systems that seem appealing, but honestly Amazon overwhelms me with choices and I'd like to hear from other hobbyists to see what you all recommend. Thanks in advance!

Here's the tank for reference:

image.jpeg.ac5ec8774ab353ab226b92c309d262d2.jpeg

• Love 1

On 1/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, Ragnarok12 said:

Hey everyone. I'm looking to get into CO2 starting with my 12 gallon long planted tank, but I don't have the cash to shell out for a full size system. I'm looking for recommendations for a mid-level system that's under $100 total. I want something that's higher quality than the old fashioned DIY yeast setup, but I don't want to invest in the Co-op regulator and a large tank for such a small tank (for now, at least). I've seen paintball canister systems that seem appealing, but honestly Amazon overwhelms me with choices and I'd like to hear from other hobbyists to see what you all recommend. Thanks in advance!

Here's the tank for reference:

image.jpeg.ac5ec8774ab353ab226b92c309d262d2.jpeg

I have the Fluval 20g co2 kit in my 10g tank. It's a passive system, so it's probably not going to fully saturate all your plants (maybe if you get 2), but it's pretty cheap and the cartridge's last quite a while. The other downside is the diffuser is pretty large. https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Pressurized-20g-CO2-Kit/dp/B0049RL3H4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=fluval+co2+20g&qid=1672962026&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2

I've used their newer larger co2 kits too, but they are harder to recommend, because the cartridges' are expensive and don't last that long. If you want to try them I would recommend the 95g version for that reason. The replacement cartridges still might break your budget goals though. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fluval-pressurized-co2-kit-95-gallon-3121246

• Like 1

These are all great recommendations, thank you! I like the sounds of the system that you recommended @AllFishNoBrakes. I appreciate hearing that you've had success with it in your setup, and being able to keep excess chemicals lying around to easily recharge the reactor is perfect.

I'm open to more recommendations if anyone else has additional experience with small systems!

I used a 45g fluval co2 kit. It did great at adding co2 to the tank and my plants loved it, but my wallet didn’t. A cartridge wold last no more than a week and the cheapest I found them on sale was for $7. And you have to open it every morning and close it every evening, if you forget just once, it won’t last a week. With the purchase of initial kit, that’s comes to be easily over $400 for the first year.

Just something to think about.

• Like 2

Long term the most economical solution is co2art regulator and a canister - either 5lb, 10lb or 20lb depending on how often you want to refill it. I find on my 40B that a 20lb will last 8 to 14 months depending on various factors. co2art sells two regulator - you do not need the pro. During special time of the year they will frequently be 20% to 30% off; alas blackfriday/christmas period has pass so you have to wait for the next holiday. The best place to get the canister and to refill it depends on what is available near you - welding shops and brewery tend to have the best price. My price is a bit higher than some and i pay about $20 to refill a 10lb - a 10lb was a bit below $100 and a 20lb was a little more. Also the canisters are pretty much 'warrantied' by the welding shop i use; if it goes bad they will just swap it with another one.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 12:19 PM, Janoš Bećar Pecaroš said:

I used a 45g fluval co2 kit. It did great at adding co2 to the tank and my plants loved it, but my wallet didn’t. A cartridge wold last no more than a week and the cheapest I found them on sale was for $7. And you have to open it every morning and close it every evening, if you forget just once, it won’t last a week. With the purchase of initial kit, that’s comes to be easily over $400 for the first year.

Just something to think about.

I had this same experience.

• Like 1

The thing about CO2 is how long the hardware lasts. It means that even if your purchase cost is high(ish), the weekly monthly or quarterly cost is very reasonable. If cash is tight, and you want a better regulator, it just means you have to save for longer. You'll find regulators that cover a broad range of prices. Make your chose based on customer reviews, and what's included in purchase. 

My first CO2 setup included a regulator, with solenoid and bubble counter, off amazon (ca). I got the stainless check valve from a local aquarium store. I heated and bent rigid tubing to get over the rim of the tank. The diffuser also came from LFS. I used a 20oz paintball tank for the CO2. Very reasonable purchase price, but I did have to get an adapter (the biggest hassle there was learning the thread/fitting lingo to ensure that what I got worked).

My tank was a lot like yours, but larger. Natural looking, and I wasn't aiming for aquascape level plant growth, just less algae and more growth of medium sensitive plants. So I was able to stretch the life of each CO2 refill but cutting back on CO2 to around 1.5 bubbles per second for a 33 gallon tank. Each refill lasted me around 6-8 months, even with that relatively small tank. 

So you save by shopping smart for the hardware, paying less for the smaller cylinder, and refilling less often. But you're still looking at $100-$200 startup. Maybe a bit less in US dollars. 

If you don't want to go that route, I also bought one of the 2-bottle citric acid+baking soda systems. Solenoid and bubble counter included. Very affordable. I ended up never getting that set up so it's collecting dust (figuratively not literally). But the costs are very reasonable, and from everything I've seen and read they are very reliable and effective, when used properly. 

• Like 2

My CO2 journey began with a two bottle diy citric acid/baking soda setup.  While it was cheap to start and effective at injecting CO2, I found that the novelty of running a little chemistry lab quickly wore off and I took note of many things I didn’t like about it over time:

1. The low price point on those kits is due to fairly low quality parts.  Over time, I found that the needle valve jammed and the system became difficult to dial in.

2. The bottles kit can be a bit volatile.  Even when using the magnet as directed, I found the system had a bit of a mind of its own.  For example, the last time I used the bottle kit, it gassed off an entire recipe over night and sent me into a panic the following morning.

3. It’s messy and time consuming.

4. Long term cost was going to become an issue even if the system didn’t break down.  For my needs, the annual cost was going to be somewhere around $200 iirc.

Eventually I purchased a 20oz paintball canister and the Fzone regulator w/solenoid.  The total came to just over $100 and I honestly couldn’t be happier with the results.

1. Stable.

2. No mess.

3. No storage of ingredients.

4. Very low annual cost compared to citric acid/baking soda. Maybe even 1/10th the price.

5. Looks better.

Or you could just skip the CO2 injection all together!  Your plants seem to be doing well without it 🤷‍♂️

Good Luck!

• Like 2