Leaking Fish Tank

So I have a 15 gallon Fluval Flex tank and it is leaking very slowly. It almost set my house on fire because water got into the outlet. I’m not sure why it’s leaking (cracks, hole, etc) but I don’t want to give up this hobby. Should I just buy a new fish tank altogether and transfer the water, filter, and gravel to the new tank or try to fix the one I have. My fish are not in danger for now but I want to fix this asap.

Edited by iwanttostayanonymous 92074

Leaks are inherently bad. How long have you had the tank?

I would start with transferring all contents into a tote, and then identifying the leaky area. It may be a small thing that can easily be solved with some silicone., but you’ll have too empty the tank in order to properly assess.

The critters should be fine for a little while in the tote with all filters, water and gravel. You’ll be able to transfer them either to the fixed tank or a new one if it needs replacement.

As you have a leak that can cause weakness and you are at risk of the glass panel blowing out depending on were the crack is I would lower the water level to reduce the pressure and I would get another tank as soon as possible just for piece of mind 

As another suggested, get a tote of appropriate size from your local big box store, transfer all your fish, plants, filter,etc into it. Investigate where the leak is and maybe it can be easily repaired, if not you can find yourself a new tank. Maybe it will be the reason to upgrade to a larger rank of you've been thinking about it. The good thing is with the tote, you don't have to get it all done in a few hours, you can get the old tank repaired, or new tank set up without too much of a hurry.