Help with guppy breeding

Pete H

@Pete H,how old are your juveniles? In my experience with guppies and platies, It can take up to 4 months for males to develop a gonopodium so you can tell they are male. Additionally, they do not all develop a gonopodium at the same time, so from one batch of fry you might remove all the males one week, come back and find three more the next week, and then three more the next week.

With guppy strains where males and females have the same body color, you have to wait for the gonopodiums to develop. In guppies where females are plain gray and boys are colorful, you can sometimes tell who's what earlier in the process. 

Edited by PineSong
  • Thanks 1

There is a temp theory about guppies and fry but I've never seen any evidence of this and I've seen it happen opposite plenty of times. Tbh, I've never found an accurate answer as to why this happens sometimes. It could just be the same reason some humans have more boys or girls in their family, genetics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 9:53 PM, Cinnebuns said:

There is a temp theory about guppies and fry but I've never seen any evidence of this and I've seen it happen opposite plenty of times. Tbh, I've never found an accurate answer as to why this happens sometimes. It could just be the same reason some humans have more boys or girls in their family, genetics. 

ive never seen it either, and i run my tanks unheated. get mix of both boys and girls.

• Thanks 1