Tanks not made out of all glass?

The endler guy

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and why are aquariums bottoms made out of glass? Why not make them out of plastic or pvc board? I assume it would cost less (because glass is expensive), not be as easy to break, and lighter (maybe idk)

Aquariums could be start being made with bottom, back and even sides out of plastic/ pvc 

@Coryyou probably know

Some old tanks per 1920’s had slate bottoms. I think they broke pretty easy. There are still some around. There are some members that have them and keep them like tanks of that era as much as the can.  I use plastic totes and muck buckets. The thing is they are all one piece with no joints.

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are good ideas. I have 4 pieces of glass from work that are 36" x 10" x 7/16" and my plan is to make a low boy style aquarium with them. I'm planning to weld up a metal frame then screw 1-1/18" plywood to the top and sika flex stainless steel to the top of that. I would essentially have a coffee table type stand at that point about 1" bigger (38" x 38") in each direction then the aquarium would be. I will then silicone the glass to the stainless steel top of the table and to each other to make the aquarium. I'm hoping that silicone adheres well to stainless steel which I think it does. The glass is very thick so that will help as well. 

On 1/5/2023 at 4:10 PM, bryanisag said:

These are good ideas. I have 4 pieces of glass from work that are 36" x 10" x 7/16" and my plan is to make a low boy style aquarium with them. I'm planning to weld up a metal frame then screw 1-1/18" plywood to the top and sika flex stainless steel to the top of that. I would essentially have a coffee table type stand at that point about 1" bigger (38" x 38") in each direction then the aquarium would be. I will then silicone the glass to the stainless steel top of the table and to each other to make the aquarium. I'm hoping that silicone adheres well to stainless steel which I think it does. The glass is very thick so that will help as well. 

That sounds very cool. Please take and post pictures of the whole process. Maybe even make a journal thread out of it!

I'm not commenting because I have the answer, but I would suspect that the thermal expansion of glass is quite different than the expansion of stainless steel and that may (or may not) cause a possible issue either at the joint or with the glass itself.  

Just something to consider.

• Like 2