Bala Shark

PaleoShrimp

I found a good deal on a used 55gal.  The guy who sold it to me had a Bala shark in it and didn't have anywhere to put it, so I said I'd take it with the tank.  The seller gave me a packet of frozen bloodworms he was feeding the fish.  I've had the tank set up for a couple days now and when I feed the bloodworms, the shark goes after them aggressively.  But then, each time it takes one in its mouth, it looks like it just works it for a little while and then spits it out again.  I don't think I've seen it swallow one yet.  I've also tried flake food and see the same behavior.  Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on?  (This is only a temporary situation until after Christmas)

On 12/6/2022 at 11:45 PM, Plechoeco said:

I found a good deal on a used 55gal.  The guy who sold it to me had a Bala shark in it and didn't have anywhere to put it, so I said I'd take it with the tank.  The seller gave me a packet of frozen bloodworms he was feeding the fish.  I've had the tank set up for a couple days now and when I feed the bloodworms, the shark goes after them aggressively.  But then, each time it takes one in its mouth, it looks like it just works it for a little while and then spits it out again.  I don't think I've seen it swallow one yet.  I've also tried flake food and see the same behavior.  Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on?  (This is only a temporary situation until after Christmas)

Have you notice any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness sunken belly also spitting food out can be a sign of wasting disease were the parasites causes irritation of the throat making it difficult for them to swallow food 

Edited by Colu

On 12/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, Plechoeco said:

But then, each time it takes one in its mouth, it looks like it just works it for a little while and then spits it out again.  I don't think I've seen it swallow one yet.  I've also tried flake food and see the same behavior.  Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on?

That might just be the fish version of chewing.

Try pellets or brine shrimp and you might have better results. Bala sharks are awesome. That guy is definitely stressed out and hopefully doing ok.

Just verify temp and that you have good oxygen and hopefully the little shark calms down a bit.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 12/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, Colu said:

Have you notice any rapid breathing hanging near the surface listlessness sunken belly also spitting food out can be a sign of wasting disease were the parasites causes irritation of the throat making it difficult for them to swallow food 

Here is a video clip of his behavior. This is pretty much what he looks like all day.

I have a big HOB filter that came with the tank going and a small sponge filter, so I don't think oxygen is an issue. 

On 12/6/2022 at 4:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Try pellets or brine shrimp and you might have better results. Bala sharks are awesome. That guy is definitely stressed out and hopefully doing ok.

Do you have any suggestions of a good pellet food for a Bala shark?  

On 12/7/2022 at 12:22 AM, Plechoeco said:

Here is a video clip of his behavior. This is pretty much what he looks like all day.

I have a big HOB filter that came with the tank going and a small sponge filter, so I don't think oxygen is an issue. 

difficu

He look a litte thin and with the symptoms your describing what I would do  treat him with levamisole that's the active ingredient in Expel p once a week for three weeks and you could try feeding him daphnia or brine shrimp good quality flake food hikari micro pellets or VIBRA bites

On 12/6/2022 at 4:40 PM, Colu said:

He look a litte thin and with the symptoms your describing what I would do  treat him with levamisole that's the active ingredient in Expel p once a week for three weeks and you could try feeding him daphnia or brine shrimp good quality flake food hikari micro pellets or VIBRA bites

Agreed.

Give the poor guy some wood or something to feel safe. The fish can't relax because there's nothing for it to rest on or hide around. A rock and some wood would really help.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, Plechoeco said:

Something with shrimp or krill. Bug bites works too. Xtreme nano might work but it floats on me too much.

Hikari has some. Depends what you have available around you. Try discus gold if you can, just verify the pellet is small enough.

Unfortunately people buy balas without doing any research. We stopped carrying them at the petstore chain I worked at for this reason. They are a schooling fish and really require social interaction to stay healthy. 

I think your best course of action is to try and find someone who can dedicate the resources they need to be happy and healthy and not take on the burden of someone else’s poor decision. That way you can focus on stocking the 55 with fish you prefer. 

Balas as adults need a large amount of swimming space and schools of 6+ to establish proper socializing. Minimum tank size as adults is 250 gallons, which is not feasible for most aquarists.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Biotope Biologist.  After all the comments I decided to post on a rehoming FB group for my area.  If I don't hear back soon I'm going to ask the LFSs in my area if one of them will take it.  I wanted to try and keep him for a little while to experience a fish I've never had before, but I want him to get the proper conditions. 

• Like 2