fungus on Cory fish eggs: Ich-X, other for entire tank?

Knew tooth is

My Cory's have laid eggs. But many of the eggs are being consumed by fungus. And recently 1 adult Cory was infected with fungus. I don't have another tank to transfer the eggs or the numerous adult Cory's in the tank + otocinclus + green neon tetra. Is it OK to treat the entire tank with Ich-X? Would it be OK to treat the tank with methylene blue? Along these lines, I read that the charcoal filter should be removed with methylene blue treatment. Would removal of the charcoal filter also be needed with Ich-X treatment? Thank you.  

• Sad 1

On 11/30/2022 at 3:26 PM, Knew tooth is said:

I read that the charcoal filter should be removed with methylene blue treatment. Would removal of the charcoal filter also be needed with Ich-X treatment? Thank you.  

yes

On 11/30/2022 at 3:26 PM, Knew tooth is said:

Is it OK to treat the entire tank with Ich-X? Would it be OK to treat the tank with methylene blue?

Either one is fine. I treated mine with Methylene blue.  I also have Ich-X.  You can also do baths depending on where the eggs are.  Move the eggs to a specimen container and then add 1-2 drops of the chemical.   When they hatch, then you'd want to remove the chemicals within 24-48 hours.

They both have Methylene blue.  The main issue with methylene blue is the health issues long term if you overdose it.  Stick to the directions and you should be fine. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yes

Either one is fine. I treated mine with Methylene blue.  I also have Ich-X.  You can also do baths depending on where the eggs are.  Move the eggs to a specimen container and then add 1-2 drops of the chemical.   When they hatch, then you'd want to remove the chemicals within 24-48 hours.

They both have Methylene blue.  The main issue with methylene blue is the health issues long term if you overdose it.  Stick to the directions and you should be fine. 

Ick x active ingredient is Malachite green you can still use it to treat eggs to stop them getting fungus 

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, Colu said:

Ick x active ingredient is Malachite green you can still use it to treat eggs to stop them getting fungus 

Correct. For whatever reason, dyslexia or lack of coffee, I keep mixing up the malachite green because it's clearly blue.

I do have both. I used the actual methylene blue on my eggs/tank.

• 4 months later...

I'm a little hung up on the idea of treating the whole tank, for fungus on the eggs. Some/most eggs will usually fungus in all but the most pristine of tanks. That's one of the reasons why so many folks remove the eggs to a cleaner setup, or put them in a hatcher with better flow. 

You also mentioned a cory having fungus and dying. If your tank setup/maintenance/routine promotes conditions that make fungus common or prevalent, a single round of treatment might reduce or defer the problem, but won't fix it. 

Edit: as always i come across as negative or critical, but this is meant to be helpful. 

Edited by TOtrees

I don't have any Cory's that have died or bad water quality. I moved all my eggs to a 10 gallon tank that they are only sharing with a few mystery snails. Maybe you are responding to someone else? I'm just curious if I would treat daily with the ich x when i do the water changes