Does anyone have experience with those digital water tester tools?

Schuyler

I looked into them a while ago & the calibration process turned me off to it for my current situation; it wouldn't really save me any work on just a couple tanks. But I can see how it would be beneficial for someone with a lot of tanks. Calibrate once & then go test everything. 

• Like 1

I have a blue lab pH meter very easy to use you do have to calibrate it every 4weeks it works well and I have a Hanna instrument Hi700 digital ammonia tester that takes about 4 minutes to do a test is really accurate it is a bit pricey for what it is I got sick of trying to judge the color on ammonia test strips and liquid kits it was always difficult to tell the difference between 0 and 0.2

• Like 1

I used to use a pH and CO2 controller for a while but got tired of the constant re-calibrating of the probes, and having to keep up with the expiration dates of the calibration fluids, and having to replace the probe after so many uses. For my taste it was more trouble than it was worth. Test strips and glass CO2 indicator are much simpler, and less of a headache. I do use a digital TDS meter when I do water changes though, because years ago I've had my water utility change wells on me once before which turned into a nitrate nightmare; as established, and heavily planted as my current tank is however, I don't think those levels would phase it much now. However, better to test and know, and be able to prevent than to not know and be unpleasantly surprised. Water testing is your friend! 

Edited by Jungle Fan
typo
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:09 PM, Schuyler said:

I've seen some tools online for testing PH, GH, and some other stuff. The idea of having something that gives me instant readings and I don't have to worry about using up all the strips or solution.

How do they compare to other things as far as accuracy?

Accuracy of a digital tester all comes down to how much you're willing to pay for something professional or lab grade. Milwaukee Instruments makes some more affordable testers that are very accurate (and some more expensive ones), but as others have said, they do require calibration and proper storage.

Calibration is easy, but not as easy as using something like the COOP test strips or drop checker like API kit.  Once you add in the time it takes to perform calibration, you could have done a dozen tests with test strips.

I use my digital PH tester for very low-range applications which the regular aquarium strips and kits can't read (they don't go below 6Ph).  I definitely don't use the digital tester on a regular basis.

I think the COOP stripes and the API test kit are very good for normal usage.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2