Im trying to decide on a light what would you do?

I'm trying to decide on a light for the 40 gallon breeder I'm setting up and I would like to know what would you do?

the plants I'm planning on growing are all epiphytes (java fern, anubias, buce and hygrophila pinnatifida) so not super light demanding plants but I'm trying to decide between the fluval aquasky or a nicrew.

@Bentley Pascoe said the aquasky grows those kind of plants super well and it has a lot of cool features but it cost 100$ more then the nicrew and probably both would grow the plants I want so what would you do? or is there a different light you would recommend? I'm in Canada so I cant get any of the finnex lights.

also the aquasky would probably last longer but I'm trying to decide if its worth the extra 100$.

what would you do?

Nicrew- https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-Freshwater-Aquarium-Light-Spectrum/dp/B08SBMYHGC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Aquasky- https://www.amazon.ca/Fluval-Aquasky-Bluetooth-Aquarium-Light/dp/B07BBSRDPL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2TINZI8R5D551&keywords=aquasky&qid=1669423823&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjQxIiwicXNhIjoiMS44NCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=aquas%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-2

On 11/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I'm trying to decide on a light for the 40 gallon breeder I'm setting up and I would like to know what would you do?

the plants I'm planning on growing are all epiphytes (java fern, anubias, buce and hygrophila pinnatifida) so not super light demanding plants but I'm trying to decide between the fluval aquasky or a nicrew.

@Bentley Pascoe said the aquasky grows those kind of plants super well and it has a lot of cool features but it cost 100$ more then the nicrew and probably both would grow the plants I want so what would you do? or is there a different light you would recommend? I'm in Canada so I cant get any of the finnex lights.

also the aquasky would probably last longer but I'm trying to decide if its worth the extra 100$.

what would you do?

Nicrew- https://www.amazon.ca/NICREW-Freshwater-Aquarium-Light-Spectrum/dp/B08SBMYHGC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Aquasky- https://www.amazon.ca/Fluval-Aquasky-Bluetooth-Aquarium-Light/dp/B07BBSRDPL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2TINZI8R5D551&keywords=aquasky&qid=1669423823&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjQxIiwicXNhIjoiMS44NCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=aquas%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-2

Personally from my own experience I wouldn't get the aquasky.  I think you're better off going for either....

Aquarium co-op light, nicrew, or for the fluval planted 3.0. 

This past week I just swapped my aquasky off of my anubias tank after seeing deficiency issues.  Granted, it's entirely my own fault, but the light does play a role.  I don't like how it is very yellow and very warm in it's coloration.  Visually to my own eyes when I turn the aquasky on blue mode for night it looks like every cheap LED you've seen from the kit tanks with the LEDs stuck to a plastic hood.  Visually, it's that shade of blue.  On my planted it goes from this fluorescent and neon blue colors to something a lot more natural, royal blue with my planted version of the light.

I would specifically buy something intended for plants. Whether that's the nicrew or some other brand, I would get something around 6500K, with that "planted" spectrum available.

The one advantage for the fluval lights is their water resistance capabilities.  Check aquasky on the box stores for black friday, a few hours to go.  Mine cost me about $80 for the 24".  Right now the 36" is $120.

Aquasky Spectrum Chart
image.png.fbbfc5b3f85f4f919e0543f2c3193e02.png

Planted 3.0 Spectrum
image.png.afafcc8b06626d28be7943ded2f9e834.png

@nabokovfan87 I cant get the aquarium co op one because I'm in Canada and the 3.0 is to expensive also the nicrew is water resident and 6500k.

the 24 inch aquasky is 100$ here in Canada and the 36 inch is 170$ so its pretty expensive. 

do you have any experience with the current usa lights? they seem pretty good but I have no experience with them.

Nicrew spectrum:

710RGt5ZfvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.bc8fc44298bccdb5a35739036409cb89.jpg

On 11/25/2022 at 7:14 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

do you have any experience with the current usa lights?

I don't. Nicrew loops a little yellow. Bentley does a ton of light reviews, maybe that's a place to look at.

On 11/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

No sunrise/sunset. And it looks like the one you sent might be two different lights. One is the standard version and the other is the plus. There is also the plus pro version. I can't find the spectrum chart for the light. The expensive models give you more control over LED channels.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when you're looking at a cheap light is what happens when it gets wet or splashes on it. You might end up replacing it.  Just something to note and one of the most important features for myself.

I'm watching a few of these. This might be something beneficial to mull over while you're comparing all of the spec sheets and trying to decide which way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:26 AM, DaveO said:

This is my 40b with the 36" Aquasky. It grows all the easy plants I care to use. It might even grow higher light plants if you cared to try. The white is set to just 65% , so it will get much brighter if you wanted. So far I have been happy with it.20221126_121202.jpg.b522df826fe5ace989af923e039f45c7.jpg 

Oh, that is a nice substrate. Jealous.

• Like 1