Betta fin rot help

beatlesfan317

I've had my female Betta for 3 months and she has fin rot. The tank is cycled, 2.5 gallon, filtered and heated. Temp is a steady 77. PH 7.8 but stable, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates. I vacuum and do weekly water changes. Feed twice daily, for a daily total of 1-2 pellets and a couple small pinches of bug bites, and once a week I usually give bloodworms and I fast one day a week. 2 days ago I completed a 4 day treatment of (API) E.M. Erythromycin following the directions on the box. What should I do? Please see all 4 photos. Thanks for your help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

We have a blog article on fin rot, and treatment: 

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

What do you do if your fish’s fins and tail are looking ragged or discolored? It may be a bacterial disease called fin rot. This illness is simple enough to treat but can lead to other serious complications if left unchecked, so follow...

Hmm, if erythromycin didn't work, it could be that the original stress factor that caused the fin rot is still present. Is the filter flow too strong? Is there a sharp decoration somewhere? Is there another tank mate in the aquarium that the betta is constantly chasing? Is the betta constantly flaring at her own reflection? Time to put on your detective hat and see if you can spot anything... 🔎

Thanks for the response. Because it's a Betta, I only have 2 small artificial jelly like glow plants (almost look like jelly fish) in the tank because they are very soft and not jagged. The filter is quite slow, no current that she has to fight and it doesn't disturb the surface except right were the water comes out. She's in the tank alone and moving, swimming, eating and acting fine. I will say, 2 weeks ago I set up a new guppy aquarium next to the Betta tank. Could this have upset her? I haven't seen her flaring. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't know what else to do or what the problem could be. I appreciate your time and feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Update......my betta is doing a lot better! I know the pics aren't the greatest but progress can be seen. After 4 days of E.M. Erythromycin treatment and waiting another 3 days (1 week total) I didn't see much change. The fin rot might have even continued to progress a little. I decided to try aquarium salt and I was worried and skeptical but felt I had to do something. I did a 50% water change and vacuum and I started with 1 teaspoon per gallon, then after 4 days another 50% water change and vacuum and upped to a total of 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. 4 days later another 50% water change and vacuum while keeping at 1.5 teaspoon of salt per gallon and this is where we are today. Looks a lot better. This Sunday I'll probably do another water change without adding any salt (thereby decreasing salt) as I start to level down the salt.

11-11-20a.jpg

11-11-20b.jpg

• Like 1