Quikrete Play Sand?

Yanni

I am looking for a natural colored, fine sand for my 29 gallon aquarium. I've seen play sand but I'm not sure if its fine. The bags in store aren't clear so I'm not too sure if they're fine. If anyone has experience using this sand, please let me know what you think of it or if its a good sand to use. 

I used it in my first tank (at least it was play sand; I don't remember the brand name).  It had quite a bit of very small gravel in it.

I'm a big fan of using pool filter sand.  It's a little more expensive, but it's more uniform, and if you get a good brand it needs little to no rinsing.  

On 11/18/2022 at 6:21 PM, Yanni said:

I am looking for a natural colored, fine sand for my 29 gallon aquarium. I've seen play sand but I'm not sure if its fine. The bags in store aren't clear so I'm not too sure if they're fine. If anyone has experience using this sand, please let me know what you think of it or if its a good sand to use. 

I just rinse any old sand in a bucket 🤷‍♂️

Play sand at my local big box store was extremely fine (there were leaky bags to compare on both palettes) and would have been terrible to rinse and high risk for compaction.  The pool filter sand is still a fairly fine sand but just coarse enough to reduce (but doesn’t eliminate) the risk of compaction.  Pool filter sand feels fine to the finger tips but not powdery like the play sand did.