taco bell but better.

The best come from my local convenience store that has a food counter.  When I stop in around 6:15 to get breakfast every morning they have at least two people making food and two more serving it, and I'm pretty sure they all grew up speaking Spanish.  Great food (including tortillas they make right there from scratch) and nice people, which is why I stop every morning.

Technically they're burritos, and not tacos, but I don't care.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think it fascinating how Mexican tacos that were just grilled meat, onion and cilantro on a tortilla morphed into ground beef, iceberg lettuce, tomato and cheddar cheese stuffed into a fried tortilla. 

A few years ago I was at the place I posted about above and the guy in line ahead of me was telling the lady what he wanted on his taco.  He pointed to the bin with the cilantro in it and said "Put some of that parsley on it please."  I didn't bother to correct him, and the lady behind the counter probably didn't hear him, so she loaded him up with cilantro.  I've often wondered what he thought about his parsley.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2022 at 11:19 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think it fascinating how Mexican tacos that were just grilled meat, onion and cilantro on a tortilla morphed into ground beef, iceberg lettuce, tomato and cheddar cheese stuffed into a fried tortilla. 

Oh, I do love iceberg lettuce but I don't think of it as being authentic to ANY cuisine except maybe 1950's American Housewife cuisine.

35 years ago (!)  I had a summer job laboring outdoors all day and had to get lunch wherever the carnivores on the crew wanted to go. A Subway "salad" of iceberg lettuce shreds with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper was my favorite option as it was largely a way to eat water as a food after sweating all morning, lol. Good times with iceberg!