Light Color Planted Substrate (Blue shrimp)

Alec

On 11/12/2022 at 5:37 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Caribsea Crystal River is probably what I would point you to if you aren't using an actual small pebble / gravel.

And this is large enough (grain size) for plants to root and grow in? I know if you go too fine the roots have a hard time growing. 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:01 PM, Alec said:

And this is large enough (grain size) for plants to root and grow in? I know if you go too fine the roots have a hard time growing. 

Most "natural" substrate photos from the wild, it looks like a mix of sand and gravel.  I had a 55/75 Gallon tank that was entirely sand and I had plenty of success with plants.  Cory is working on an experiment to demonstrate how plants do in a variety of different substrates.  Basically, it's an inert substrate and so you'd be dosing root tabs and stuff to add nutrients.  In my opinion, honestly, I like sand a lot more than gravel, and I really enjoy white / light sand in a tank.  It's so fun to clean and feel like you're at the beach. 

That being said, the specific one I mentioned is about 2x the pore size of traditional "sand" and it is a bit larger size.  I have not planted in it yet in my tank, but it should be perfectly fine.  I would shoot for ~3 inch as your minimum depth for plants so that you have enough room for the roots.

• Like 1