Driftwood

On 11/1/2022 at 8:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

Oof. Tough question. Sometimes you can buy things at an auction. So expensive now though. I’d ship you some, but it might cost you $120. I’d make zero money. But the small pieces start at $69. Add shipping. Yikes!

Thank you! 🙂 Where can I see the items your selling? 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:01 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I've had good experiences with purchase from this site -- https://manzanita-driftwood.com/

Thank you, I’ll check it out 🙂 

On 11/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, B7gwap said:

It really would be worth a drive to a decent scaping LFS, IMO 

I’m going to search if there is one I could go too and drive there, Thank you for replying 🙂

• Like 1

For rocks, check out your locals landscaping places. The same rocks you find in stores for 3-5 dollars per pound can be have for 20-50 CENTS per pound. I recently got 135 pounds for my big tank - it cost me 35 dollars. Also check them for driftwood, they sometimes get them for ponds or landscape pieces, which also means you should try calling any pond builders.

Another place to get driftwood could be taxidermists. Though they often use artificial things for some of their works, they may know of places to find/get them.

If you're looking for the more traditional aquarium woods, you're probably going to have to resort to eBay and Etsy for any kind of decent prices, but you'll probably get nailed on shipping, especially larger pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wood at my local shops is crazy expensive. I’m not adverse to spending some money buy $60-150 for a piece of wood seems excessive. I’ve had good luck picking up some nice pieces on local shorelines. I’ve also found the big box pet stores have good deals. They don’t always have a great selection but sometimes you’ll find something nice. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, Luciferkrist said:

For rocks, check out your locals landscaping places. The same rocks you find in stores for 3-5 dollars per pound can be have for 20-50 CENTS per pound. I recently got 135 pounds for my big tank - it cost me 35 dollars. Also check them for driftwood, they sometimes get them for ponds or landscape pieces, which also means you should try calling any pond builders.

Another place to get driftwood could be taxidermists. Though they often use artificial things for some of their works, they may know of places to find/get them.

If you're looking for the more traditional aquarium woods, you're probably going to have to resort to eBay and Etsy for any kind of decent prices, but you'll probably get nailed on shipping, especially larger pieces.

Thank you so much! I'm going to check out the local landscaping places🙂

On 11/2/2022 at 4:04 AM, Jazz Pizza said:

@Tropicalfishkeeping201 @tolstoy21 I second that site. I’ve used them a few times. Great prices, cheap shipping, pressure washed/cleaned for you, and quality pieces. 

Thank you!🙂

On 11/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, billango said:

Maybe look at sraquaristik's website. you can see the exact pieces of wood that you would get. I haven't ordered from them before though. 

Thank you for sharing, I'm going to check out this website🙂

On 11/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, Patrick_G said:

Wood at my local shops is crazy expensive. I’m not adverse to spending some money buy $60-150 for a piece of wood seems excessive. I’ve had good luck picking up some nice pieces on local shorelines. I’ve also found the big box pet stores have good deals. They don’t always have a great selection but sometimes you’ll find something nice. 

Yes, in the few websites that I saw that sold wood, they were very expensive. I'm going to search in shorelines to see if I find myself some wood. Thank you for sharing!!🙂

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

Hello everyone,

Happy start of the week everyone!

Any website recommendations to buy driftwood, rocks and stones to aquascape an aquarium? I unfortunately don't have any local fish stores in my area where they have these things.

Thank you in advance 🙂

Have you asked them if they could bring in driftwood for you? I've had some of mine say yes to similar requests. 

• Thanks 1