Airstones vs spray bars

JJenna

I'm new to all the changes that have occured in the hobby since I last had tanks. I am setting up a 40 gal breeder tank and want input on pros/cons of using airstones vs a spraybar in my planted tank. Is one type better for fish and one for plants? Thanks for any input that will help me decide. 

• Like 1

I will say water turnover needs to be addressed along with this discussion. Spray bars are usually run with canister filters and the right size canister filter offers, typically, more water turnover. 

Pros,

More water can be turned over while offering higher or lower flow in the tank.

Superior surface agitation that can be lengthened or shortened.

Cons,

A bit more hands on at times. 

Air stones,

Pros, 

Cheaper

Easier to clean

Cons,

Ugly

Requires additional equipment

Splash 

I forgot to mention that a spray bar offers laminar flow. A pro.

Disclaimer: most all I care about is breeding fish. For plants, some of my reply is just incidental.

I make DIY spraybars for tanks where I am keeping fish that thrive in very high water flow. Most of mine are North American Native fish species -- Rainbow Shiners, Southern Redbelly Dace, Mountain Redbelly Dace, Saffron Shiners, and Rainbow Darters. I often set up a "venturi" air add-on to pump air into the water powerhead water flow as well. Additionally I add sponger filters for these tanks. The result is a LOT of oxygen and flow.

This is a pretty low-fidelity, shaky video . . . but you can see the air bubbles pushed down to the substrate from above on this 33-gal long where I keep Rainbow shiners

Here is another example of a 20 gal long with a sprayer for keeping Mountain Redbelly Dace

What I do find is that planted tanks tend to do better the cooler I keep them, and the less deep I have to throw light. I have a fetching little Discus tank here that I run added airstones in because it is kept really warm at ca. 82-85 F. The warmer the tank, the less dissolved gasses remain in the water. Cooler water can hold more dissolved gasses which can help plants respirate.

C19F492B-9CC7-47AC-B75D-C102FB001E70.jpeg.891599d5efa6cdb6bf05777e98cdbd43.jpeg

On 10/31/2022 at 1:21 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

laminar flow

Had to look that one up 😎

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

Disclaimer: most all I care about is breeding fish. For plants, some of my reply is just incidental.

I make DIY spraybars for tanks where I am keeping fish that thrive in very high water flow. Most of mine are North American Native fish species -- Rainbow Shiners, Southern Redbelly Dace, Mountain Redbelly Dace, Saffron Shiners, and Rainbow Darters. I often set up a "venturi" air add-on to pump air into the water powerhead water flow as well. Additionally I add sponger filters for these tanks. The result is a LOT of oxygen and flow.

This is a pretty low-fidelity, shaky video . . . but you can see the air bubbles pushed down to the substrate from above on this 33-gal long where I keep Rainbow shiners

Here is another example of a 20 gal long with a sprayer for keeping Mountain Redbelly Dace

What I do find is that planted tanks tend to do better the cooler I keep them, and the less deep I have to throw light. I have a fetching little Discus tank here that I run added airstones in because it is kept really warm at ca. 82-85 F. The warmer the tank, the less dissolved gasses remain in the water. Cooler water can hold more dissolved gasses which can help plants respirate.

C19F492B-9CC7-47AC-B75D-C102FB001E70.jpeg.891599d5efa6cdb6bf05777e98cdbd43.jpeg

Had to look that one up 😎

Likewise