• Administrators
On 11/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, Aiden Carter said:

could I do nerites instead?

Yes, but MTS would do a better job as a cleanup crew. Nerite would address algae, but MTS will eat the skipper waste and break it down further. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, Zenzo said:

Yes, but MTS would do a better job as a cleanup crew. Nerite would address algae, but MTS will eat the skipper waste and break it down further. 

very true, what sorts of live foods could I grow (in the tank ore not) so my teacher doesnt have to go to petco every week to buy food while i acclimate them to frozen food, also could i do brackish ghost shrimp or would they get eaten or be to much of a bioload/ overstocked 

Edited by Aiden Carter

On 11/3/2022 at 12:23 AM, Aiden Carter said:

very true, what sorts of live foods could I grow (in the tank ore not) so my teacher doesnt have to go to petco every week to buy food while i acclimate them to frozen food, also could i do brackish ghost shrimp or would they get eaten or be to much of a bioload/ overstocked 

I think @Zenzo has kept them with mollies (which survive so much better in brackish water apparently!) and the fry are a welcome snack. 

I think @AnimalNerd98 has been breeding Amanos: are they able to live in brackish water on a permanent basis?

Nice signature btw @Aiden Carter😉

• Love 1

On 11/3/2022 at 2:24 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I think @Zenzo has kept them with mollies (which survive so much better in brackish water apparently!) and the fry are a welcome snack. 

I think @AnimalNerd98 has been breeding Amanos: are they able to live in brackish water on a permanent basis?

Nice signature btw @Aiden Carter😉

The problem is I don’t have much water

On 11/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I've seen people like Zenzo add some those magnetic turtle islands for the mud skippers and fill up the tank to about 3/4 full.

True but I’m also working on a very small budget and personally I think (unless you do what zenzo did with his) it doesn’t look very good

im also pretty happy with the setup currently. 

Edited by Aiden Carter

• 2 weeks later...

If you were watching the members only aquarium coop stream with serpa design you may recall a question on how to fill out a beach shore paludarium. Well I was the person who asked the question and yesterday the air plants and wood arived, I didn’t have my phone yesterday so I couldn’t take a photo, but I’ll take one today! (Also hopefully mangrove crabs sometime soon!) 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:14 PM, Zenzo said:

I’ve been looking online for mts but can’t find any! Last time I went to my lfs they didn’t have any, best way to get them? (Preferably not online because the shipping is so expensive for a few snails)

• Administrators
On 11/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, Aiden Carter said:

I’ve been looking online for mts but can’t find any! Last time I went to my lfs they didn’t have any, best way to get them? (Preferably not online because the shipping is so expensive for a few snails)

Check with other aquarists or fish clubs in your area. They should be readily available. 

On 11/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, Zenzo said:

Check with other aquarists or fish clubs in your area. They should be readily available. 

Also one of the air plants (Tillandsia Juncea I think) is getting a little water on it from splashing of the sponge filter, the specific gravity is only 1.004 but when we raise it for more brackish conditions will it be ok?

• Administrators
On 11/29/2022 at 11:07 AM, Aiden Carter said:

Also one of the air plants (Tillandsia Juncea I think) is getting a little water on it from splashing of the sponge filter, the specific gravity is only 1.004 but when we raise it for more brackish conditions will it be ok?

I am not an expert on air plants, but I would assume that it would be best to avoid direct contact with brackish water. Maybe move the plant or build some type of shield (like with a plastic lid for a cup/container). 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, Zenzo said:

I am not an expert on air plants, but I would assume that it would be best to avoid direct contact with brackish water. Maybe move the plant or build some type of shield (like with a plastic lid for a cup/container). 

Ok I’ll figure something out! I can just move one of the rocks like 2cm and that probably will fix the issue 

Edited by Aiden Carter

• 6 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 6:29 PM, The endler guy said:

HELP!!! I came into class today we had this research and i was running late but this site helped me https://essays.edubirdie.com/research-proposal-writing-service  anyway back to the aquarium all the driftwood has removed its adhesion to the glass (I used hot glue) what should I do? Also one piece of driftwood has lots of mold/ fuzzy stuff on it (it is not submerged) 

If the driftwood you used in your class project has lost its adhesion to the glass, it's possible that the hot glue was not able to provide a strong enough bond. In such a case, here are a few steps:
Remove the affected driftwood: Take out the piece of driftwood that has mold or fuzzy growth on it.

Clean the driftwood: Use a soft brush or cloth to gently scrub off the mold/fuzzy growth from the driftwood's surface. You can also use a mixture of water and vinegar for cleaning.

Sanitize the driftwood: To prevent further mold growth, you can soak the driftwood in a bleach solution. Mix one part bleach with nine parts water and submerge the driftwood for 24 hours.

Rinse thoroughly afterward to remove any traces of bleach.Dry the driftwood: After sanitizing, allow the driftwood to dry completely. Place it in a well-ventilated area or under the sun to ensure thorough drying.

Inspect for regrowth: Once dried, carefully inspect the driftwood for any signs of regrowth. If you notice any recurring mold or fungal growth, you may need to consider alternative solutions, such as using a different piece of driftwood or treating it with antifungal agents.

Remember to handle mold carefully as it can cause allergies or respiratory issues. Wear protective gloves and a mask while working with mold-infested materials. If you're unsure about any of the steps or the condition of the materials, it's best to consult with a professional or someone experienced in handling driftwood or similar materials to ensure proper handling and resolution of the issues.

Edited by JoshFort36

19 hours ago, JoshFort36 said:

If the driftwood you used in your class project has lost its adhesion to the glass, it's possible that the hot glue was not able to provide a strong enough bond. In such a case, here are a few steps:
Remove the affected driftwood: Take out the piece of driftwood that has mold or fuzzy growth on it.

Clean the driftwood: Use a soft brush or cloth to gently scrub off the mold/fuzzy growth from the driftwood's surface. You can also use a mixture of water and vinegar for cleaning.

Sanitize the driftwood: To prevent further mold growth, you can soak the driftwood in a bleach solution. Mix one part bleach with nine parts water and submerge the driftwood for 24 hours.

Rinse thoroughly afterward to remove any traces of bleach.Dry the driftwood: After sanitizing, allow the driftwood to dry completely. Place it in a well-ventilated area or under the sun to ensure thorough drying.

Inspect for regrowth: Once dried, carefully inspect the driftwood for any signs of regrowth. If you notice any recurring mold or fungal growth, you may need to consider alternative solutions, such as using a different piece of driftwood or treating it with antifungal agents.

Remember to handle mold carefully as it can cause allergies or respiratory issues. Wear protective gloves and a mask while working with mold-infested materials. If you're unsure about any of the steps or the condition of the materials, it's best to consult with a professional or someone experienced in handling driftwood or similar materials to ensure proper handling and resolution of the issues.

Thanks, a bit late

let me fill everyone in

first, the mudskippers never got back in stock

second if they did, the shipping and logistics were unreasonable. So we decided on getting crabs instead (but ended up not)

third, the teacher is getting transferred to a different school next year so we entirely scrapped the idea