Eco complete and nitrogen?

JoeQ

Does substrate (in my case eco complete) absorbe liquid nitrogen like it does with other nutrients because of its high cec ability? Could cec be the reason I can't seem to budge my nitrates very much, even tho im dosing nitrogen?

On 10/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It actually has a.lower cec value and not enough to notice.

You simply aren't dosing enough or your test kit needs calibration.

I actually thought Eco complete had a decent cec ability?

• Like 1

Hi All,

Eco-Complete is derived from volcanic basalt (per their package information below) and most volcanic based soils have a low cation exchange capacity (CEC) unlike clay based soils with a high CEC.   Although Eco-Complete claims to contain a good number of minerals and nutrients (as does Seachem Flourite - #19 in table below) it likely does not have a high cation exchange capacity likely being similar to Seachem Flourite with a CEC @ 1.7.  So no, it is unlikely that the Eco-Complete will absorb nutrients from the water column and make them available in the the substrate. 

That said, a high CEC does not mean that the substrate will absorb nitrogen.  High CEC substrates absorb positively charged molecules (cations) of the primary and secondary nutrients potassium, magnesium, and calcium as well as some trace nutrients but does not absorb nitrogen or phosphorus. 

ADA Aquasoils on the other hand are "soil" based and they do contain nitrogen and have a relatively high CEC of 27.   -Roy

430551777_Eco-CompleteLabelCroppedAdjSn.jpg.6111ef43eadd8d609052d2d8c2c36bdf.jpg

1047364032_CECcombined2.jpg.0b607940f0eb1b10351f37107cea8ea3.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2022 at 5:00 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It actually has a.lower cec value and not enough to notice.

You simply aren't dosing enough or your test kit needs calibration.

Let's say my light was higher in previous days, this would result in faster nitrate consumption than with lower light. Is this assumption correct?

On 10/14/2022 at 12:10 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Mmiller2001

Yes, this is not surprising since volcanic soils also typically have a high pH (aka increase dKH). 

Possibly 2 mysteries solved in one small post!!! Could this also explain why I  have to buffer my 10g who has a shallow layer of flourish sand, while my 36g has a deep bed of eco complete?

On 10/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

It would be all nutrients as metabolism is fueled by light. More light, more nutrient uptake.

That's what I thought was happening, I didn't mention todays nitrates were higer than yesterdays after cutting the light intensity by 8%. Oddly enough my tds were lower by 30ppm! Does this mean I could be achieving a better nutrient/light balance? 🤔