Staple Fish Food?

TheDojoMojo

I am looking for a quality, nutritious dry food that I should feed my fish. I would like it to be something to feed to my mid-top dwelling fish. I will also be feeding frozen bloodworms as well as other various foods occasionally in order to mix up the diet. I just want 1 or 2 easy foods that I can rotate between or feed a mix of every day that will help keep my fish healthy and happy. I currently feed freeze dried bloodworms daily but have found out that bloodworms themselves may not be the most nutritious. Im wondering what you guys use for a staple food, and what advice you all have for what I should do. Thanks.

I think it depends on the fish you have.   All of our tetras go nuts for the Xtreme Krill flakes and the ingredient list makes me happy.  But the bristlenose and corydoras won't touch the Xtreme Sinking Wafer.  So we feed the bristlenose the Hikari Algae wafer.  The corys will munch on that too, but I usually feed them on the side of the tank opposite from the tetras so they get their share of flakes, bloodworms, freeze dried brine shrimp.  The corys and the bristlenose get fresh veggies every week too, but you're asking about dried food.

The bettas like the Xtreme flakes too, but we typically feed them the Hikari Bio-Gold betta pellets.   I'm not a fan of the little screw spout on the bags we bought, but I bet they are there to help avoid food contamination.  The bettas always go for it, and my little guy seems to have an easier time with them than the larger betta pellets we used initially. (Tetra I think?)

Edited by ForestJenn
Just call me the queen of typos.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, Bill Smith said:

I like Hikari Micro Wafers as my staple. Works nicely in the auto-feeder, and softens pretty fast. Most of my fish seem not to like the harder pelleted foods like Bug Bites. I wonder if it may have to do with the fact that my water is very hard and alkaline...

I am considering purchasing the micro wafers to add to mix. How large would you say the pellets are. I cannot seem to find any info on this online. Im wondering if they would be a suitable size for my medium to large sized fish.

44 minutes ago, TheDojoMojo said:

I am considering purchasing the micro wafers to add to mix. How large would you say the pellets are. I cannot seem to find any info on this online. Im wondering if they would be a suitable size for my medium to large sized fish.

They're 1-2mm. Even my 1" tetras eat them, and I think this is due to the fact that they break down faster. Bug Bites, Vibra Bites, and Tetra crisps stay solid much, much longer.

Bill

1 minute ago, Bill Smith said:

They're 1-2mm. Even my 1" tetras eat them, and I think this is due to the fact that they break down faster. Bug Bites, Vibra Bites, and Tetra crisps stay solid much, much longer.

Bill

Do you suppose an 8 inch bala shark could still get a good meal out of them?