Do you mean feeding sweet potato's??
is this an uncommon thing or am I misinterpreting the situation here haha!!

I’ve boiled them before but prefer not to use them as they are messy when soggy and my Pleco just plays in it rather than eats it. 

I've seen people grow it out of aquariums before. I'm interested in learning more, as I just found some sprouting in my pantry 😅

I assume you'd cut off the sprouts (slips) & root those in the tank? Seems like putting a whole sweet potato in the tank could cause problems?? 

You can stick one end of a sweet potato (the tuber) in the water. It'll send out roots and you can grow it out that way. What most people do is cut off pieces of vine, and stick those in the water. They root really quickly and grow fast. What I have found is that most people have trouble when 

1. They aren't providing enough light to an emersed plant

2. They have a fish that eats the roots/the plant, so it never does well

3. They have a big plant and aren't feeding it enough (think, fertilizer)

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just place a sweet potato in a glass. It will grow roots and shoots. When the shoot is large enough it can be remove and placed in a cup of water to root or the tank just like any plant clipping. If your tanks are high nitrate it will root faster in a cup. Roots grow quicker with less nitrate as they are seeking nutrients. When high nitrate the roots grow slower because they do not need to seek. 

255E2E3B-42D3-4D1C-94E0-992F5DB36FA0.jpeg

• Like 5